What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interoperability of projectiles between early British 3" (76.2 mm) guns

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi Everyone,

I have been researching specific projectiles related to early British 3" QF artillery guns i.e.

QF 12 pdr 8-cwt
QF 12 pdr 12-cwt /12-cwt AA
QF 12 pdr 18-cwt
QF 14 pdr
QF 15 pdr
QF 13 pdr

##################################
Note The same could be queried on the BL side:

BL 12 pdr 6-cwt
BL 12 pdr 7-cwt
BL 15 pdr 7-cwt
BLC 15 pdr
##################################

and since the above all have the same common calibre (3" /76.2 mm) and differ only by the projectile's weight, in theory should the designated projectiles for each be inter-changeable between the various guns?

If so, is anyone aware of any documentation relating to this (field notices etc)?

To be more specific, would a designated 12 pdr projectile be capable of being fired say in a 13 pdr gun? (assuming that an appropriate 13 pdr case / charge is used, only the projectile would differ) Or are there physical limitations due to breech design differences etc to not permit this?

There are some snippets of information which allure to the above, apart from historical developments (e.g. the development of the BL 15 pdr when cordite replaced gun power in `1892 and it was deemed that a heavier projectile could be developed from the existing 12 pdr projectile). The snippets are best summarized in the attached diagrams highlighting the QF 12 & 14 pdr "Common Shell" (hence the name?) Or the Shot BL case for both the 15 & 12 pdrs?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• 3inchCaseShotMkVDiagram.jpg
    3inchCaseShotMkVDiagram.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 22
  • QF12pdrLydditeShellMkIIMkIII.jpg
    QF12pdrLydditeShellMkIIMkIII.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 24
  • QF12&14pdrCPMkIIShellDiagram.jpg
    QF12&14pdrCPMkIIShellDiagram.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 30
Hi

In "Handbook for the 12-PR B.L. 6 CWT gun (Marks 1-4a)" from 1905 (available here: http://search.slv.vic.gov.au/) :

"On an emergency, a 15-pr B.L. Shell (not charge) may be fired from a 12-pr B.L. 6 cwt. gun"

Probably one example amongst several.

Regards,

S.

Excellent!

Thank you - exactly the type of information that I'm after..............

(perhaps I should re-read all the handbooks again!)

Interesting enough, there is a further footnote at the bottom of that reference page which states:

"Mark VI shrapnel shell is restricted to Q.F. 12-pr. guns"

Cheers
D

Last edited:
Further research:
}
Would the above stated 3" guns used a standard type of Practice Projectile which was interchangeable between all /some of the guns?

Apart from an apparent lack of documented information on practice shot projectiles as most manuals focus on either the "common" shell or "shrapnel" types, it would seem logical that a "common/generic" practice shot may have been adopted, that being derived from the original 12 pdr.

Why?
As the name implies - the practice shot projectile was just for "Target Practice", so from a manufacturing process it would be far simpler to have just one Cast Iron (CI) mould which would /should surfice the practice shot requirements for a number of different guns of the same calibre*.

{* Yes I'm aware that a practice shot projectile should really reflect the weight of the common /shrapnel projectile for the designated gun}

As a special request, could I ask that if any members have a practice shot projectiles for either BL /QF 12 pdr /15 pdr /14 pdr and 13 pdr guns to please post a photo of the projectile head stamp and advise the approx. weight of the projectile?

I may be completely off track here, but would like to test the theory out, and a snapshot sample of related practice projectiles may provide some valuable insight!

Thanking you all in advance

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Does anyone recognize which book /document this page is taken from?

It has a very interesting reference note for the "12 pdr 12 cwt AA gun" (reinforcing the theory that "generic" projectiles were made for a variety of same cailbre guns)

"Towards the later part of the war a single projectile was produced that could be fired in this weapon and the 13 pdr guns, also in the 3" 20cwt & 5cwt guns".

Attachments

• document-1.jpg
    document-1.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 36
Does anyone recognize which book /document this page is taken from?

It has a very interesting reference note for the "12 pdr 12 cwt AA gun" (reinforcing the theory that "generic" projectiles were made for a variety of same cailbre guns)

"Towards the later part of the war a single projectile was produced that could be fired in this weapon and the 13 pdr guns, also in the 3" 20cwt & 5cwt guns".

It's from the Hogg and Thurston book

22608701770.jpg

Thank you Darrel!

I only have a "selected" summary which was given to me by an old collector many years ago - now I can go book hunting! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Cheers
Drew

Thank you Darrel!

I only have a "selected" summary which was given to me by an old collector many years ago - now I can go book hunting! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Cheers
Drew

I'll take some pictures this weekend and post for your ease of reference Drew, including some of the projectiles.

D