What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help identifying this American(?) Concrete Piercing Fuze

jeff w

I found a concrete piercing fuze that I need help identifying. My theory...
Since the TM9-1901 Artillery Ammunition manual dated 1944 has no concrete piercing fuzes listed, I assume America went to war without one in its inventory.
TM9-1901 dated 1950 does list the M78 concrete piercing fuze. Apparently the M78 started out as the T105 before being standardized. The fuze I found has a different, shorter ogive than the M78.
Oddly enough this short ogive CP fuze matches the ogive pictured in TM9-1901 (1950). My guess is the M78 originally started out with a shorter ogive, they drew it up and put it in the manual. Then they changed the ogive, never bothering to go back and update the manual and drawings. Has anyone ever seen a short ogive CP fuze like this?
First photo - fuze on left is T105, fuze on right is the one I found.
DSCF0028.jpg DSCF0029.jpgDSCF0031.jpgDSCF0032.jpgDSCF0033.jpg

I don't think it is a fuze. It looks like the nose piece for a small aircraft practice rocket, that has a body the same diameter as the OD of the nose plug.