What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lidar data - WW2 bombing run?

HughN

Hi,

Quite a while since my last post, but this seems a good place for some well-informed suggestions.

This figure is some Lidar data of some woods near where I grew up. It has stripped away the vegetation and shows the surface of the ground.

wdcCqk0tbiWHIdvc2
Lidar.jpg

There are some circular features that I am led to believe are the remains of a Lufwaffe bombing-run aimed at the Canadian soldiers camped in the woodland prior to D-Day. I'm not sure whether this is the case (why fill them in and leave the edges?)

The ground in the middle of the image is about 40m higher than that towards the bottom of the image. My question is: if they are the result of a bombing run, is there any reason why the craters on the higher ground are larger than those at lower levels (assuming the aircraft was level)?

Otherwise, they are down to aliens...

I would see if you can get hold of the 1946 RAF aerial photo for the area and see if the features are visible.

Have you had a look at the actual feature? If there is charcoal present then they could be bases from old charcoal kilns.

Where is the site?