What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plugs

Dandebur

Hello,
I take interest in shell cases, mostly of WW1. But today it is about other things. I suppose they are plugs for shells when they have no fuse during transport.
Picture 1: the first on the left, I bought it some years ago on a flea market. It is in two parts, the external part is stamped A C 9/16 N°2 and another 2. The plug itself: R.W & S N°1 P and broad arrow.
This week, in a scrap yard, I visit regulary, I found some same plugs, without the external part, coming from dig. ( pic 1 in the middle ). They have yet their seal, complete or almost complete. I think it is of felt but I am not sure.
Picture 1 on the right another model, I took only one ( I had to pass at the weighing machine ). It is stamped VSM A ( underneath ) N°2 and broad arrow.
Just for curiosity's sake, I'd like to know for what projectile those plugs are intended.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Dandebur,

Please see attached images from a 1915 document.

R.L. - Royal Laboratries, Woolwich.
R.W. & S. - R. Walker & Sons, Kings Road, Tyseley, Birmingham.
E.F.D. - not known to me

TimG

253.jpg256.jpg259.jpg

Two inch fuze hole plugs were still in use in World War Two. Those I find are made of brass and date from 1937. The key-way in the top is a 3/8 inch square drive.