What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

81mm Mortar, M362 questions

I have been unable to find much on the US M362 mortar round here or the Internet. The TM's mention the loads, fuzes, etc. but nothing more. One website mentioned they were 60's 70's mortars issued to our Navy and USMC only and during the Vietnam era along side with the more common M374 A1. Can any one supply me with the original coloring and usage? I picked up a few fins, see pics. Thanks again...and may all you Ordnance nuts ( like me) have a peaceful, enjoyable Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Nam era paint for HE rounds is OD green Body with yellow lettering. The round you show is incorrect. The M362 and WP version M370 do not have the obturating groove and split band. The body you show is an M375.

TM 43-0001-28 has drawings. The PDF is free off the web.

I've never heard that they were specifically Navy or Marine Corps used and always assumed they were just an earlier round replaced with the M374 series with the improved fin and obturator.

Sorry the photos are a bit dark but here's an M362 dated 5-64 and an M362A1 dated 10-64. Dark OD semi-gloss with yellow markings, loaded at Milan Army Ammunition Plant, Milan, TN. I've always liked the markings on Milan produced munitions as they were the only U.S. facility I'm aware of that used serif lettering on their products. That's been observed on everything from 40mm cartridges, hand grenades, mortars, to larger artillery projectiles.

PICT0153.jpgPICT0154.jpg

Well, if that is an example of Bulletpicker's work on such a simple item, I wouldn't trust them as a reliable source for anything.

Well, if that is an example of Bulletpicker's work on such a simple item, I wouldn't trust them as a reliable source for anything.
The picture on bulletpicker.com came from ordata.info, which means it came from Indian Head. And that picture is the best one I could find without violating copyright. Finally, the pages aren't meant to be anything definitive but more like a picture book with a short summary, and links to the actual info.