What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 81mm mortar, M374A1?

A question for the British mortar experts. Did the British Army ever use the US 81mm M374A1 mortar round body? and if so, do you have a picture with color scheme?

I know that it did happen the opposite way. In the first Gulf War, the U.S. used British 81mm Mortar projectiles, and continued till they produced their own versions.

I had emailed the Hawthorn Ordnance museum about the fins. A very helpful bunch at the facility. Interesting reply from them:

"Please be aware that despite the TM, the M141 fin was also used with M374A1s for the British. Now you'd be asking me how do we know that....
When the British demil their stuff, they send it to the USA because we have the depots to do the work and when HAWTHORNE got the contract for the demil of the British mortars, we saw the bodies, fins and the CANS they were in, go through the process....and there were 100's of thousands of rounds that got cooked in the rotary furnaces. I think we crated maybe 1000 rounds (inert) just for our museum-support-activity.
To our knowledge, the M362A1 was ONLY used by the Brits and the Marines (USA). The other detail questions you asked would need to be answered by in-service personnel"

"Please be aware that despite the TM, the M141 fin was also used with M374A1s for the British. Now you'd be asking me how do we know that....
When the British demil their stuff, they send it to the USA because we have the depots to do the work and when HAWTHORNE got the contract for the demil of the British mortars, we saw the bodies, fins and the CANS they were in, go through the process....and there were 100's of thousands of rounds that got cooked in the rotary furnaces. I think we crated maybe 1000 rounds (inert) just for our museum-support-activity.
To our knowledge, the M362A1 was ONLY used by the Brits and the Marines (USA). The other detail questions you asked would need to be answered by in-service personnel"

I would like to see a data sheet of the British version with the round fin assembly.