What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Breda ?

greetings,

if it does not have a Waffenampt on it I'm buggered. Is this an Italian specimen ? The projectile has an impressed 3 and what looks like a stylised crown above AP. The base stamp is H and 38. Thanking contributor (s) in anticipation

Attachments

• DSCF5042.jpg
    DSCF5042.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF5043.jpg
    DSCF5043.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 110
It is a not so common Hirtenberger (H) made case, I have 1938 and 1939 in my collection and I have seen a 1937 example. Most likely for Italy, although I have reasons to believe they could also be for Spain.

Most likely and consider the letter type these cases were made by BPD ( Italian factory) for Yougoslavia which used the 2cm Breda Gun during the war.

thanks U2, my assumption of it being Italian origin is that it came with other items from a chap who served in Italy during the war. being an unfired example the head had been pulled pretty roughly and I have had to do a bit of annealing and tapping of the case to make it look reasonable. there is a bit of a ding on the other side of the moon !

Hi MGARENA, based on your remarks I checked "Die Patrone 20 x 138 B" from Anderhub. The cases marked "H" are described on page 800/801 (I missed this!) and they indeed mention possible BPD manufacture, for Yugoslavia. Interesting!

from what I know Jugo Army in 1941 had 360 guns between 15mm ZB60, and 20mm breda mod 35. The cases "H" marked still recovered are really too much for so few weapons....
We have 2 possible manufacturers, BPD and Hirtemberger. No one confirmed.
regards

For some reason ,until i found the 'H' was Hirtenberger, I always thought the 'H' headstamp was Greek(Hellenic?),as these aren't uncommon over here, along with the BPD and SMI Italian ones.Probably 'Desert Rat/Rampant Dragon' type souvenirs.
So if the 'H' isn't Greek,and apparently the Greeks made the full range of 20 x 138B rounds, what does the Greek headstamp look like?

Most likely and consider the letter type these cases were made by BPD ( Italian factory) for Yougoslavia which used the 2cm Breda Gun during the war.

Could be, but still hard to say.

Attachments

• BPD & H 39.JPG
    BPD & H 39.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: