What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

140mm soviet brass casing

marek_wawa

Hello,
Guys I was offered this case but I have no idea what it is. I was told it's 99cm long and the diamiter for the projectile is 140mm bot I can't find what it is. All I could finf is a 130mm M 1954 gun but the case for it was ~85cm of height.

Best Regards, Marek

Attachments

• ee.jpg
    ee.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 34
  • rrrr.jpg
    rrrr.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 44
  • tttt.jpg
    tttt.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 31
  • uuuu.jpg
    uuuu.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 29
  • yyy.jpg
    yyy.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 27
It's a good impressive modern case to have. It depends on how much the seller wants.

HAZORD, the seller still keeps telling me it is 99cm long and 140mm in diamiter (+/- 1 mm). What else could it be?

HAZORD, the seller still keeps telling me it is 99cm long and 140mm in diamiter (+/- 1 mm). What else could it be?

The Russian 130mm M58 L/50 Russian naval case has a mouth diameter of circa 140mm and case length of circa 994mm. I think it has to be that one.

D

According to the Hawkinson cartridge list the following may be what it is:

130 x 994 (141mm case mouth, rim diameter 177mm) 130mm M58 L/50 Russian Navy

When you have separate loading ammunition, typically the cartridge case mouth is visibly larger than the diameter of the steel body of the projectile. The caliber of the gun is the diameter of the largest part of the steel. The rotating band will add to the diameter, but it will be swaged into the rifling of the barrel. The rear of the chamber needs to be large enough to accommodate the larger diameter rotating band, so the case mouth needs to be as large as the rotating band, so that it seals the gas off from slipping around the case mouth.