What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USS Midway, San Diego, California

What is the spike looking thing in front of the A-6? Is it the piston and shuttle from the catapult?

I like all the bombs on the Skyraider, even though they are just water filled practice bombs.

Last edited:
Visited the ship 2 months ago, nice story is they have to convert the deck to a cross (Y) deck, and had to loose some weight, the ship became top-heavy, therefore they dismanteled all AA guns of the ship.

Now I want to show you Midway the way most have not seen. I was at a biomedical conference in San Diego a week ago. The conference rented USS Midway for a night of entertainment food and drink and a salvo of fireworks at the end. So here are some shots.
DSCF3802.jpgDSCF3813.jpgDSCF3815.jpgDSCF3818.jpgDSCF3820.jpgDSCF3823.jpgDSCF3826.jpgDSCF3838.jpgDSCF3844.jpgDSCF3845.jpgDSCF3846.jpgDSCF3848.jpgDSCF3849.jpgDSCF3851.jpgDSCF3855.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting story from Wikipedia:
On 29 April 1975, the day before the
fall of Saigon during the Vietnam War, Republic of Vietnam Air Force Major Buang-Ly loaded his wife and five children into a two-seat Cessna O-1 Bird Dog and took off from Con Son Island. After evading enemy ground fire, Major Buang-Ly headed out to sea and spotted the aircraft carrier Midway. With only an hour of fuel remaining, he dropped a note[SUP][9][/SUP] asking that the deck be cleared so he could land.[SUP][10][/SUP] Knowing there was no room for this to happen, Midway's commanding officer, Captain (later Rear Admiral) Lawrence Chambers ordered US$10 million worth of South Vietnamese Bell UH-1 Iroquois ("Huey") helicopters to be pushed overboard into the South China Sea. The Bird Dog that Major Buang-Ly landed aboard Midway is now on display at the National Naval Aviation Museum at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.[SUP][11][/SUP] A similar aircraft was restored in the markings of the aircraft flown by Major Buang-Ly for an exhibit at the USS Midway Museum in San Diego, California
Major_Buang_lands_his_Cessna_O-1_on_USS_Midway.jpg