What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early French fuzes or industrial?

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured are 2 heavy brass screws that turned up amongst some other ordnance related items in France. I have a feeling they are industrial items or potentially light fittings! I thought to post for general interest and my education if anyone has come across these items before. They are both 62mm long, larger darker one has a thread diameter of 25mm and is 38mm across the top. The smaller lighter one has a thread diameter of also 25mm but is 31mm across the top. I would suspect some sort of transit plug but both have the remains of copper wires running through them. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 34
Variants of what the Germans called Reibzündschraube (friction igniter, screwed); WWI era used to fire the propelling charges in some models of Minenwerfer.

The attached probably came from a previous thread, so with acknowledgements to whomever first brought it to attention.

Attachments

• Reibzündschraube.jpg
    Reibzündschraube.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 37
Many thanks Snufkin, excellent identification, you live and learn. The pull ring explains the copper wire remains in both examples.