What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 1.5 lb C.O.W gun practice projectile

Wgreen

Hi to all here is my 1.5 lb c.o.w (Coventry ordnance works) gun practice projectile ,as I understand it these 37mm cannons were developed in the first world war and fitted to planes with the intent of shooting down a zeppelin or large bomber with one shot ,I wonder if they ever did ,the projectile has many markings
P
1/half pr
Mk III gun
I
C.I
B.E. -. E.A?
6. /18
I am unsure of the maker B.E - E.A although I believe the e.a could be east Anglia any help as allways will be appreciated thanks wg
cabacb4fb689ff824d8a968946920b03.jpg
37a1d3e39ccf2222a57e50cdab83f9fa.jpg

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk

B.E. - E.A. - J.W. Brooke & Co., Ltd., Adrian Works, Lowestoft. (Inspecting Office - Ipswich) Engineers and Shipbuilders. Ordnance wise also manufactured 18-pdr shells and Cast Iron 103 fuzes.

TimG

B.E. - E.A. - J.W. Brooke & Co., Ltd., Adrian Works, Lowestoft. (Inspecting Office - Ipswich) Engineers and Shipbuilders. Ordnance wise also manufactured 18-pdr shells and Cast Iron 103 fuzes.

TimG
Hi TimG thanks once again I thought u might be the man in the know so to speak thanks again regards wg

me thinks its not practice, why the cap? practice shot are made as cheap as possible. The 1 1/2pr COW was used for amour plate testing for quite a while as there was a lot of data held on its performance.

me thinks its not practice, why the cap? practice shot are made as cheap as possible. The 1 1/2pr COW was used for amour plate testing for quite a while as there was a lot of data held on its performance.
Hi 2pounder I am very far from any expert but the top is not a cap per say it is all one piece of cast iron which I believe they used mainly for practice shot at this time the h.e version is steel and also I'm not sure that there was an a.p but if there were surely it to would be steel also ,plus the very first mark on the projectile is the letter P which I am sure stands for practice ,but I could be wrong thanks wg

Interesting to see as coincidentally I have a couple of 1918 COW gun cases currently incoming via eBay. I assume the projectiles (such as the above) are like Hen's teeth?

as I understand it these 37mm cannons were developed in the first world war and fitted to planes with the intent of shooting down a zeppelin or large bomber with one shot ,I wonder if they ever did ,

Some quotes from my article on early aircraft cannon: http://quarryhs.co.uk/cannon_pioneers.htm

More interest was shown in automatic cannon and two different types saw service; the 1½ Pr C.O.W. gun (so-called because it was developed by the Coventry Ordnance Works) and the 1 Pr Vickers Mk III. The predecessor of the C.O.W. gun – the 1 Pr – was actually test-fired from an F.E.3 in 1913 (although the plane was suspended from a gantry rather than flying) and was also intended for the F.E.6 of 1914, but probably never was fired in the air, and attention soon switched to the 1½ Pr. The appearance was distinctive in that the recoil spring was wrapped around the barrel in the interest of compactness. Ammunition was fed to the gun via a five-round clip, meaning that only a short burst could be fired before reloading (the cyclic rate of fire was 100-120 rpm). Development work took a long time and it was not until August 1917, following successful trials of the Mk.III gun, that an order was placed for 90 of these weapons; the maximum which could be produced without affecting the output of other guns. By August 1918 the orders had increased to 450 and the urgency of the order was stressed but problems continued and only fourteen had been delivered. The end of the war saw the cancellation of the orders with only those under construction being completed, and in all about 76 guns were delivered.

Only in October 1918 was a British machine available with a cockpit designed for the gun; it was fitted in the rear cockpit of three D.H.4 light bombers, angled upwards at 45º for use against the giant R-plane bombers as well as Zeppelins. A hole was cut into the upper wing for the gun to fire through. Aiming was the job of the pilot, who instructed the gunner/loader when to fire. Various mounting, handling, sighting and buffer problems were resolved and over 1,000 rounds fired but the muzzle blast caused problems and the plane required light alloy plating to protect it, as well as some structural strengthening. In the event, just three D.H.4 aircraft fitted with this gun entered service in November, and only two of these reached the front, but they had no time to see action before the Armistice.

The gun was also tested in the Tellier flying boat, a Voisin 8, two D.H.3A and a D.H.10 twin-engined bomber and was intended for the three-seat F.E.4 of 1916. Two C.O.W. guns were proposed in August 1918 as defensive armament for the big Handley-Page V/1500 bomber.

After the War, the C.O.W. gun was tried in various installations, especially in large flying boats in which the gun was intended primarily for anti-submarine work. The twin-engined Armstrong Whitworth Sinaia, the Short Cromarty and the experimental Vickers Valentia, all made in 1921, had provision for one in the nose. In the late 1920s the Blackburn Iris and Perth, similar three-engined biplanes built in small numbers, were also available with a C.O.W. gun in their bow position instead of the usual Lewis, and in 1932 the Short Sarafand had a similar installation.

Some landplanes were proposed as mounts for the big cannon. The Bristol Bagshot and Westland Westbury were twin-engined three-seat heavy fighters, designed to a 1924 specification for bomber-destroyers and based around the C.O.W. gun. The Bagshot was a high-wing monoplane, the Westbury a biplane, but both were armed with two flexibly-mounted cannon in nose and dorsal positions. The muzzle blast was recognised to be severe enough to damage any normal structure so strengthening had to be applied, and because of severe vibration on firing it was necessary to fit instruments and sensitive equipment on flexible mountings.

Perhaps the most remarkable were the two experimental C.O.W. gun fighters of 1931, designed to specification F.29/27 by Vickers and Westland. These single-seat, single-engined planes not only had a 37 mm C.O.W. gun as their sole armament, it was angled upwards at 45-55º for attacking bombers from below. The installation was based on the theory of the "no allowance angle," at which the body lift from the projectile would compensate for gravity drop over an important part of the trajectory.

Despite all of this work, the only significance the C.O.W. gun achieved was to be used as the starting point for the Vickers 40mm Class S design, after Vickers had taken over the Coventry Ordnance Works. The remaining C.O.W. guns saw out their days on AA mountings as airfield defence weapons (some mounted on lorries) in the Second World War. They were not finally declared obsolete until 1948.

Yes, they are quite scarce. In 17 years I have picked up 3, out of 5-6 varieties that I know of. I have cases pining for projectiles!

Yes, they are quite scarce. In 17 years I have picked up 3, out of 5-6 varieties that I know of. I have cases pining for projectiles!
I thought that might be the case. As an alternative, I was browsing through Milcorem's range of resin repro 37mm projectiles and it occurred to me that the French M24 37mm Hotchkiss projectile *resembles* the WWII British COW AP projectile.

Hi thanks everyone for the comments and Tony w for the info ,I have a spare one of these projectiles which I am willing to trade for a good casing UK only thanks wg

Thought I would add a couple of pictures of an unfired example, made by Vickers in 1918 but in Billet Steel. Although marked as practise projectiles they would have made a nice hole in the pressure hull of a WW1 U-boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 43