What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange ww1 Russian ammo crate?

frijoles108

Hello guys
I need your help and advice. I spotted this ammunition crate recently and it was being sold as 1917 Russian ammunition crate for 3 inch shrapnel. The seller claims they got it with a old list inside of old furs that this box had been repurposed to ship inside it after ww1. Skeptical, I had a friend of mine from Russia translate the text on top also, to cross reference what it said. According to him it says 3 inch shrapnel, 8 pieces, ordered from britain. So, I wasn't concerned about the seller not telling the truth about what the text said when I confirmed it to say almost the identical thing as they described. Then I moved onto the next subject of concern. How is it known that it is from 1917? The owner is of older age I believe and said she could not remember where or when she heard it but she knows she heard it was from 1917 from someone. I realize non of the original furniture for holding the projectiles is inside of the crate still, as it was repurposed to just hold animal furs for shipping, but is it actually from ww1? I'm a ww1 collector and this isn't cheap, so I don't want to be stuck with what turns out to be something from post ww1. If anyone can pass on some information I would be very grateful.
7508fa16be12cbb76d58a2bdc0a2030b.jpg
d46368804c75096761b0d7e3c71daaba.jpg
463b6918df70f67d05636cfedd12d209.jpg
4f8cca48bd89a1bf7f47c3ee75da9e7c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Would you think it's ww1 or 2

Certainly in 1916 the United Kingdom supplied 3-inch Shrapnel Shell bodies and 3-inch Cartridge Cases to Russia - see attached. The fact that the box says Shrapnel is more likely to point to WWI anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 26
Certainly in 1916 the United Kingdom supplied 3-inch Shrapnel Shell bodies and 3-inch Cartridge Cases to Russia - see attached. The fact that the box says Shrapnel is more likely to point to WWI anyway.
Interesting I thought shrapnel was a term utilized in ww2 also. So I am guessing I need the Russian 3 inch 76mm aluminum fuze shells?

Were these separate loaded? I doubt this box carried 8 cases and projectiles

That is photo of inside. And thank you guys for your input. I am definitely buying it now. I will have to remake the furniture inside. It comes with an old shipping manifest for animal furs as it was repurposed to ship this after the war
d58a0a2fb22198594cc01e585e12ecae.jpg