What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 pr. Plug Question ? Oddity ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
Recently picked up this 1916 unfired shrapnel (again unavoidable :tinysmile_hmm_t:). Some original paint and rust, only the push plate
inside. The top had a plug in it, this was the worthwhile bit I thought. While trying to remove the plug the top ring
unscrewed. I then found that the top ring had no flat bottom to it ? It looks like it was original in this condition and
the plug is firmly in place and I would have to destroy the ring to remove it. Has anyone else come across this unit
used as a plug for the projectile before. Clearly the ring is useless for actual use as there is no bottom and centre hole for the flash tube.
I guess if a plug was needed for the projectile body then the fuze hole plug by itself is not obviously big enough and perhaps
some units like this were made up as required, it's new to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 11.jpg
    IMG_0001 11.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0002 6.jpg
    IMG_0002 6.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0003 3.jpg
    IMG_0003 3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0004 2.JPG
    IMG_0004 2.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 57
Hi, you do love your 18pdr's I too have a fuze plug like that but i think they were used in HE rounds as they will not screw all the way into a shrapnel fuze socket,
cheers
Andy

This is the upper collar from a shrapnel with the floor removed, either on purpose or just some kind of later damage ?

Attachments

• IMG_0001 9.JPG
    IMG_0001 9.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 40
Its a fuze adapter to allow a fuze to fit a shrapnel shell. There was a tube soldered in where you can see the remains of the solder. This tube went down the inside of the shell to the tin plate burster . Upon functioning of the fuse a flash travelled down the tube and ignited the bursting charge which in turn ejected the shrapnel by propelling the pusher plate out of the shell.
I'm sure there is a picture somewhere which will describe the operation perfectly ...
Cheers
Gary

Hmm the points being missed here, I have the adapter from the projectile with a shipping plug
stuck into it. The bottom of the adapter has been removed or broken out rendering it useless
for actual use , you should not see the base of the shipping plug is another way to describe it.
So has anyone ever had a damaged adapter like this or is it a one of ? unexplainable odd thing
or just a damaged thing.

The bases of the adapters often got blown out as Shrapnel shell operated; blown ones are apparently common field finds on the old battlefields. Perhaps lacking a No.80 or 85 fuze, it would appear that someone has simply stuck a transit plug from an HE shell into the blown adapter in order to top off a Shrapnel body.

Photos shown two completely blown adapters, and one where the base has bulged and distorted.

Attachments

• DSC07661.jpg
    DSC07661.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC07659.jpg
    DSC07659.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 26
Well it certainly looks like image 2 lower left, odd to find on an unfired shrapnel.
But we've had a hundred years of messing about with these so plenty of time
to bugger them about ~

I'll change it up to an unfired top and get the plug out of the fired ring one way
or another.

I salvaged the plug and it is in fine order and is not damaged beyond
the usual wear for it's age. No1 MKll, will fit pretty much anything.
I don't know the maker marks.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 11.JPG
    IMG_0001 11.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0001 13.jpg
    IMG_0001 13.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: