What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-4 Skyhawk

sksvlad

I was standing under this static display and realized that the machine guns are of different lengths. Why?
DSCF5223.jpgDSCF5224.jpgDSCF5225.jpg

They are offset to accommodate the magazines.there isn't a lot of room in a Skyhawk ,so everything in there is shoe horned in.
The cannons have a loose mounting(you can rattle the barrels) that and the offset supposedly helped scatter the rounds for area effect.

For those interested, the Skyhawk's guns were 20mm MK12 cannon (standard for the USN at that time), which were developed from the Hispano HS 404 but fired different 20 x 110 ammo, the wider and more powerful MK100 series only ever used by the USN (and anyone who bought their aircraft). The case was a stretched version of the USAF's 20 x 102 M39/M61 round.

Here is an interesting historical note about Vice Admiral Stockdale after whom this base entrance is named.
DSCF4986.jpgDSCF4987.jpg

This Skyhawk is hanging at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola and it has its machine guns of equal length. How come it is different from the one in the original post in the begining of this thread?
DSCF5605.jpg

Last edited:
The feel for esthetics of the renovator?
The ejection ports are still offset.
Here is another example.
A-4 infront of the USS Lexington in 2003 (white) and 2004 (blue).
The new Blue angels color scheme seems to have lost the ports and mantched the exposed barrel lengths.
Please note that the Blue Angels A-4 from Pensacola do not have guns (and have bent fuel probes).

Attachments

• corpus 122.jpg
    corpus 122.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 16
  • corpus 120.jpg
    corpus 120.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 15
  • corpus 060.jpg
    corpus 060.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 12
  • vylet1 074.jpg
    vylet1 074.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Nav avi Mus 032.jpg
    Nav avi Mus 032.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 12
Great answer, right on. I talked to the Navy volunteers at the museum during my 2nd day. They said that the displays are prepared by people who probably guessed at it and made them equal for esthetics. I also met an old Navy gentleman who knew Stockdale personally. The original photos in this post are of the plane in front of the main gate of NAS Coronado North Island.

Last edited: