What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 18,x mm shell case

H

Hoeksel

I found this strange case in a lot of Dutch materials, has been in the family for many years from a former scrap metal owner. So most likely relatively old, the other Dutch materials are dated 1929-1936.

Dimensions:

Mouth: 18.6 +/- 0.2 mm
Length: 88.1 mm
Rim diameter: 22.1 mm

Head stamp: at the very edge I see a "P" or an "F".

Anybody recognizes this?

Attachments

• Onbekende huls bodem.jpg
    Onbekende huls bodem.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Onbekende huls.jpg
    Onbekende huls.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 72
Apparantly on the Ducth ECRA forum a blueprint of this exact case was shown in 2012. Thanks DJ for pointing this out! It is a 2 cm L/50 made by HIH (Hollandsche Industriele Handelsmaatschappij), a Dutch mask company for German arms/ammunition manufacturers after WW1. Drawing is dated 27-11-1928. I can honestly state the first week of 2018 has been great for me, this lot contained 3 Dutch items formerly unknown to me!

Attachments

• 20x88mmvv.pdf
    277.6 KB · Views: 54
Hoeksel,

Very interesting!

Can you share photos and information on the other items you found?

Thanks,

Brian

I know its the wrong calibre and length, but the base looks like the 20mm Ehrhardt,and it had a more pronounced shoulder than the 20mm Becker.

HIH acted as an agent for Rheinmetall and at one point had a batch of surplus Ehrhardt cannon for sale, so this is presumably an early attempt to boost the performance of the weapon.

Possibly the related gun.

Attachments

• HIH 2 cm.jpg
    HIH 2 cm.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 34
BDGREEN: I am planning on a short article about these, I will make sure they also get on BOCN.