What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

81mm mortar fuzes added to the metal heap.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegSome pictures of current issue 60 and 81mm mortar fuzes. M779 practice and an M734. I have had a very hard time finding any. Posted for future reference and interest. Operation of the M734 fascinating, it's nose acts as a windmill turning a disc with airflow passing through it.

Last edited:
that's a nice find. I'd love to have the cutaway model.
Thanks for posting.

Regards, DJH

I think that the M734 entered British service in the early 1990s but don't remember any more than that.

Here's an M775 I have that's screwed into an M880 practice round. Very interesting to see the internals. Had no clue it was wind driven.

Fuze mortar M775 3.jpg Fuze mortar M775 2.jpg Fuze mortar M775.jpg

After reading blu45bob's reply below, went and dug some more on the M775. Found this on
http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/mortar/60mm.html

M775 PD Practice Fuze

M775.gif

Point detonating practice fuze. Produces a visible flash, a cloud of smoke, and an audible sound on impact for spotting purposes.

Has multi-option type (PRX/NSB/IMP/DLY) dummy settings to simulate an M734 multioption fuze. The M775 PD fuze functions on impact with superquick action only. Setting of fuze is for practice only and has no effect upon actual functioning.

This is a training unique item; not used in combat.

Unit cost: $16 (Fiscal Year 2005).

Last edited:
The M775 fuze is not wind driven, it arms by set-back only. The M734,M734A1,M745,M783 Fuzes are armed by set-back and by the turbine alternator.