What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proof shot 7,5 cm

super7

Proof projectile 7,5 cm

Managed to purchase this heavy lump of steel in 7,5cm the other day. Never come across a solid projectile before. It looks German
and the seller suggested it was from WW1 judging by the number 18 on it. Once home I discovered on closer inspection that it is
not 18 but marked B1 or BI at the top and at the base (or some kind of symbol like a crown ?). Marking on the side is 577 which
probaly stands for 5,77 kg (equals the weight of this solid shot). Overall length is 210 mm. Anybody has a clue what I have here
or seen one before? Much appreciated.

DSC03618a.jpg DSC03625a.jpg

Gr. Jan
http://www.westernfront.nl

Last edited:
Stefan.
that BLind marking could verywell be correct (marked in 3 places both on top and bottom). Much appreciated.
BTW, number of grooves is 24.

Regards, Jan

Perhaps it is not 7.5 cm but 7.62. Drivingband's width, distance from the base and number of grooves (24) are identical to this one.

7.62_russian.jpg

Regards, Jan

Hello Jan,

yes that's the reason why I asked this question :). I am not sure if the 24 grooves in the Notes on german shells are correct. The 7,62 cm shells I know have 32 grooves.

The shell is made by Krupp, I think I have the same type. The width of the driving band also Points in direction of a 7,62 cm.

Are there any markings on the side of the shell?

Last edited:
Stefan,

Marking on the side is 577 which probaly stands for 5,77 kg (equals the weight of this solid shot).
Have seen a couple of other markings but these are unclear.

Regards, Jan

Hello Jan,

yes that's the reason why I asked this question :). I am not sure if the 24 grooves in the Notes on german shells are correct. The 7,62 cm shells I know have 32 grooves.

The shell is made by Krupp, I think I have the same type. The width of the driving band also Points in direction of a 7,62 cm.

Are there any markings on the side of the shell?

Russian ww1, 76mm mod 02, and mountain gun mod 04 and 09 had 24 grooves

Stefan,

Went over it with a loupe and found the following markings on the side. Does this correspond with the one you have?

DSC03651a.jpg

Regards, Jan