What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHICOM Type 67 Vase Mine

wichitaslumlord

Premium Member
I recently purchased this at a show from a very advanced collector of Korean conflict items. He had some really nice and rare things but this was the only ordnance related item.
He claimed that it is a ChiCom Type 67 "vase mine" training aid. The body is 10 cm tall and 7.4 cm in diameter at the largest. The base is 3.8 cm in diameter and the silver fuse/booster is 3.3 cm tall.
I have never seen anything like it before. Any help in positively identifying it would be greatly appreciated! THANKS! Pat
100_7198.jpg100_7200.jpg100_7199.jpg100_7201.jpg100_7202.jpgchicom  grenade 2.jpgchicom  grenade.jpg

Attachments

• 100_7197.JPG
    100_7197.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 18
This is the same one. He had it at the ASMIC show where I purchased it. I then found the eBay listing as I was searching for information on it. Pat

Hey pat! Hope you are good these days. That is a strange one. Finding ordnance from Korea especially enemy stuff is really rare.. I don’t think i’ve Ever seen a North Korean grenade ever for sale. ChiCom Vietnam era ord is obtainable but North Korean or early ChiCom from the early 50’s almost never. Land and good Japanese as of late?

Jim
japaneseordnance at yahoo.com

Hello Jim,
It's good to hear from you! Nothing new on the Japanese side. Are you going to the SOS show in Louisville Ky? Frank usually attends. If so, let me know. Take care, Pat

Frank is going, but SLICS is right in there at just about the same time. SLICS is two weeks earlier this year, toward the end of March.

The most interesting, that Chinise language words on the body talk that it is Anti-tank mine. So small tanks in that region??? :)

The Chinese were only a few years out of WWII at that point, and the Japanese tanks that they were used to seeing were very small. Even then the Chinese exposure to armor was pretty limited, they had none during WWII and the Japanese didn't use much (as far as I am aware) in China. Also much of the Chinese experience with modern munitions was based off what they had seen during WWII (nearly all Japanese), and the Japanese were fond of ceramics in many applications. Much of the Chinese military material at the early stages of the Korean War was abandoned Japanese or copies.

The most interesting, that Chinise language words on the body talk that it is Anti-tank mine. So small tanks in that region??? :)

I had no idea what any of the labels said so if the one on the exterior says anti-tank, that is a wonderful bit of information. THANKS!

The Chinese were only a few years out of WWII at that point, and the Japanese tanks that they were used to seeing were very small. Even then the Chinese exposure to armor was pretty limited, they had none during WWII and the Japanese didn't use much (as far as I am aware) in China. Also much of the Chinese experience with modern munitions was based off what they had seen during WWII (nearly all Japanese), and the Japanese were fond of ceramics in many applications. Much of the Chinese military material at the early stages of the Korean War was abandoned Japanese or copies.

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the information. It makes perfect sense that they would have seen very little, if any armor and the Japanese tanks of that time were quite small. This mine is not much bigger than a hand grenade so even on the smallest tank, a lot of luck would have been needed to cause any damage.
I would love to attend the SLICS this year but we will see if there is any money left over after the SOS. I may be on a diet of ramen noodles after the show..... Pat

Understood, that's why I skip SOS, not enough money for everything.

Pat, probably won’t go to the SOS, work is slow during the winter months. It kills me I can’t go. Find any more inert Japanese aerial bombs!? Awesome.....

JO, hope things are good with you also! I really enjoy your Bombatorium thread. Great stuff and good Japanese finds!

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance at yahoo.com

Last edited: