What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors No. 12 primer adapter maker codes?

Darkman

The No. 12 primer adapter was used so that the smaller No. 12 primer could be used on earlier Mk I and Mk II 40mm Bofors cases that were designed for the larger No. 18 primer. The Mk I case had to have the primer pocket machined out to accept the adapter and were then designated Mk I*. Cases of new manufacture with this modification were designated Mk II. Mk I* or Mk II cases could accept either a No. 18 primer or a No. 12 with an adapter.

Pictured are a Canadian AG (Aluminium Goods Co. Ltd) case and a British EB (Earle, Bourne & Co. Ltd) case fitted with the adapter and No. 12 primers. Interesting to note that the Canadian primer is a Mk IV. I don’t know the Canadian maker C/C of the primer and adapter. The EB case has been repaired or modified by LNE which I think is London & North Eastern Railway workshops and has been reused/refilled. If the case was modified, I don’t know what it was as it’s already a Mk II case, but now it appears to be a Mk II “dot” case.

But what intrigues me are the maker codes of the adapter and primer on the EB case - these appear to be “M.O” and “MJ” - which are also the codes for Australian WW2 munitions factories. MO is Maribyrnong Ordnance factory and MJ was Hendon, SA. Unfortunately MO mainly made artillery guns and Hendon was No. 4 small arms ammunition factory, so manufacture of these components at those factories is most unlikely. What further throws a spanner in the works is that the primer was filled at CY Chorley, a British filling station. Given that the EB case was found and most probably used in Australia, I found that use of these maker monograms is a strange coincidence.

Does anybody know the British makers of these components?

Thanks, Graeme

1a.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

The maker of the adapter, MO, is Marshall Osborne and Co. Ltd, Birmingham; the maker of the primer, G/N, is D Gilson and Co. Ltd, London. I can't find MJ - maybe from its position it is an inspection stamp.

Tom.

3MJ is the 'Series of empty lot number' The 3 denotes 1943, MJ represents Lots 2831 - 2840. This was a wartime practice.

Letters AA represent Lots 1 - 10
Letters AB represent Lots 11 - 20, etc.
(The letter I was not used)

TimG

P.S.

C/C is Crane Ltd., Toronto, Ontario. Originally a manufacturer of plumbing fittings, now greatly diversified.

Last edited:
I quite like the 40mm Mk.1 and Mk.2 cases with the adapter.
These are some of the ones in my collection. The other ones are mostly marked M.O. as well as this B:

B40.jpg
B?

R&G.jpg
R&G 7/42

FIN.jpg
FIN

fmc.jpg
FMC, this case has been reworked two times.

40mmno11x.jpg
And I have a 40mm Mk.II* case as well. Does anyone know the meaning of this * on Mk.II cases?

B - This may well be Bryce Ltd., of Hackbridge.
R & C - Reeves & Co., Ltd., Birmingham.
FIN - B. Finch & Co., Barkingside.
FMC - Flaherty Manufacturing Co., Hamilton, Ontario, Canada or Ford Manufacturing Co., Geelong, Victoria, Australia. The first is more likely.
An asterisk generally denotes a modification.
The first and last case are unusual it that the "II" has been stamped in Arabic, not Roman numerals.

TimG

Last edited:
I found another few 40mm cases with the No.12 adapter:

40mm2.jpg
TLC

40mm1.jpg
FIDDIAN

40mm3.jpg
And this Mk.I* case, dated 1/39. Who was this manufacturer?

TLC - Tilley Lamp Co., Colindale Avenue, Hendon, London, NW4.

FIDDIAN - James Barwell Ltd., Great Hampton Street, Birmingham

Last one - no idea. Can you show a picture of the whole head?

TimG

Thanks Tim. Here are some pictures:

40mmn.jpg

aydk.jpg

40mm1lne.jpg
A bit hard to see for my camera. 40M/M I*

stc:41.jpg
Standard Telephones & Cables Ltd., London?

Thomas.

Thomas,

I've still no idea. There was only a small number of UK cartridge manufacturers and none with mark such as that. LNE is London, North Eastern Railway, Dunkenfield who are shown a making cases but in this instance the letters are surrounded by a rectangle that denotes they were a repair station. There appears to be some stamping under the 'F's of the case history, although not where you would normally expect a maker's mark, space is at a premium on a 40mm case.

When I get the chance, I'll check the contracts.

STC is indeed - Standard Telephones and Cables.

TimG

Tim,

Thanks again for your reply.
The 40M/M.I. and CF markings make me think of a British manufactured case. The CF marking might be added later, as the font, size and stamping depth of both F's seems to be the same.
On the other hand, the 'LOT'-stamp is omitted, the production date is in an usual format and, except for just one pheon, there are no further inspection stamps.
The markings under the CFF seems to be H1., most likely being the year and lot number of LNE's rework from Mk.1 to Mk.1*

Thomas

The only CF I can find is Aruvankadu (Cordites), India. Perhaps the cases went there and were filled/refilled.

C.F. indicates the history of the case, a (cordite) filling, with full charge. CFF denotes the case was refilled once, again with a full charge.

Last edited:
When the British adopted the Bofors gun I believe the initial ammunition used was of Swedish manufacture until local production commenced. The stylised "ADK" monogram is Armé Depot Karlsberg. I have seen a 1938 dated case with this monogram and fitted with a Bofors made primer. I should add that both the primer and case have broad arrow acceptance marks.

Last edited: