What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 77mm - Fuze type?

MissingSomething

Can anyone help with the identity of this fuze? Suppose to be a German 77mm. No markings on it but the numbers for the timer (0-18).

20180122_153151[1].jpg20180122_153156[1].jpg

Hello,

Erhardt fuze type. Many countries used fuze with this Erhardt design.
Your shell could be a 15Pr shrapnel with No 58 fuze (20 seconds).

Regards

BRIT.jpg
15pr erhardt.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

Erhardt fuze type. Many countries used fuze with this Erhardt design.
Your shell could be a 15Pr shrapnel with No 58 fuze (20 seconds).

Regards

View attachment 140824
View attachment 140825

Thanks for the info.... I may have to pull the shell from the case to check it... More I find out... more it looks like it might be a British issue shell and not German.

Where did you get the scan picture of the Shrapnel Shell?

sorry I can't remember where I found the scan (photos of 15pdr is from Bocn).
herewith other documentation

15PR.jpg58.jpg58 2.jpg

Thanks for the info.... I may have to pull the shell from the case to check it... More I find out... more it looks like it might be a British issue shell and not German.

Where did you get the scan picture of the Shrapnel Shell?

The scan is from Hogg and Thurston's book "British Artillery Weapons and Ammunition 1914-1918". Depotman

20180127_191849[1].jpg
20180127_191833[1].jpg20180127_191849[1].jpg20180127_191833[1].jpg

Soo... Thanks for the help guys... got the shell out of the case.. voila... 15 pdr..... not even German :(

Can anyone help out with the maker... Looks like BH and there is a partial "box in a circle" stamp above.

Last edited:
Great Shell! The maker is indeed German: It's made by Rheinische Metallwaaren- und Maschinenfabrik. This factory was also the Inventor of the "System Ehrhardt".

Alpini,

The first 54,000 rounds for the British 15 pounder 'Ehrhadrt' were supplied by Germany. Is it possible that this example is one of those? The reason I ask is the presence of the non standard 15 Pr and the FS stamped on the base.

TimG

Alpini,

The first 54,000 rounds for the British 15 pounder 'Ehrhadrt' were supplied by Germany. Is it possible that this example is one of those? The reason I ask is the presence of the non standard 15 Pr and the FS stamped on the base.

TimG

Hi Tim, I cross posted this to the IAA forum as well and got the following response.

15 is the year and “Pr” is the type of steel used (manufacture procedure).
The Rheimetall logo (above the letters BH) speaks for it self and the fuze is also a Rheinmetall design.
Nothing British in this! Maybe it once was fired at British troops but that’s about it.
But for a 15pdr the driving band looks incorrect.

Is it possible that this example is one of those?

Hi Tim,

I would say absolutely for sure it is one of them. And it is the first I have seen, that's why I am so impressed :)

@MissingSomething: I see your question about the logo is already answered. Is it the originial case for the Ehrhardt 15-Pounder which came with the shell? If yes, it would be also very interesting to see.

Last edited:
Ok, these are for the german Feldkanone 96 n/A & 16 and do not belong to your shrapnel shell.