What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75MM M5A1 casing

BB Co.1945 marked, has primer and tube. It is also ink marked for the M48 shell. Am I correct in assuming it is the 75mm pack howitzer ammunition round? I normally do not buy empty cases, but I have rarely seen any 75mm howitzer ammo here in the states, I wonder why?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 33
Slicks is right. Used in the Howitzer Motor Carriage M8 (adapted from the M5 Light Tank). Main gun was the M2 and later the M3 75mmhowitzer. Cheers, Bruce.

I found some pics, not so obscure, 1700 were built to my surprise.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 23
I am also adding this pic of the interior which is interesting ( primer and metal loops).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 24
After reading up on this 75mm M5A1, I'll correct the use of the term to gun carriage from tank. Not sure of the difference. Maybe open top vs enclosed turret. I really don't know much about tank stuff.
Anyway, went out and dug around to see if there was anything similar in the lot. Ran across this shell. I don't recall the engraving prior to today.
I polished the presentation case and then researched the SS Canberra and Telegraph Hill. All very interesting.
75MM M5A1
TYPE 1

BB-1- 386 B.B.CO. 1944 (no internal powder bag loops)

shell 75mm comm.jpg
shell 75mm comm 2.jpg

TELEGRAPH HILL SEMAPHORE
AND 13 GUN SALUTE
COMMEMORATING THE MAIDEN ARRIVAL
OF
SS CANBERRA
JULY 20, 1961
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA

Last edited: