What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reseach advice needed

BMG50

Premium Member
I am doing some research into a local moving target range the Canadians used for anti tank training during the war. It was a special range in the targets moved by rail on target trolleys on a narrow gauge track. I am trying to find out if i can locate the construction plans and drawings for the range and drawings of the target trolleys that were made specially for it.The range was constructed by a civilian contractor commissioned by the war office around 1940-42. Just wondering if anyone would know who would have such documents. I did ask at the National archives which one would expect to have such drawings but it seems that they don't unless there is more documents than they say. I thought the Royal Engineers Museum who looked after and built such ranges would have anything but it looks like they have not.The same goes for Bovington tank Museum. Can anyone advise and point me in the right area.

Last edited:
A bit of a long shot but have you tried Landmark, the people that run most of the ranges for the DIO and MOD. They might have the original records for the type or range you are researching. The other route would be to contact the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) formally Defence estates at Sutton Coalfield and ask them for help.

Rich

Might I enquire about the type of location where this range is situated ? We did quite a lot of research into our local ranges from WW2 about 30 years ago . Most were situated in disused quarries or pits that would have originally had narrow gauge rail tracks [or tramways] in place & some still existed . Let me know & I may be able to assist . Mike .

They used to have a similar set up at CFD Dundurn (In Canada) and used it as a PIAT range back in the day. Not sure if anything is left anymore as the track was still there in the 90's. Maybe the base (Range Control) may have some old records??

There was apparently a moving target range on Oakhampton ranges in Devon that had a narrow-gauge track, which was apparently still there a few years ago. Don't know if it still is!

Regards,
Roger.

They used to have a similar set up at CFD Dundurn (In Canada) and used it as a PIAT range back in the day. Not sure if anything is left anymore as the track was still there in the 90's. Maybe the base (Range Control) may have some old records??

Our local PIAT range was in a huge abandoned chalk quarry [many hectares] but it used stationary obsolete AFV's as targets . Up until quite recently the centre of the pit was surrounded by earth blast walls about a kilometer across & in the middle , where the targets were , the land was still barren & covered in the remains of PIAT tail tubes & 2" HE mortar fuze remnants . They had also used the area for RG practice with numerous parts for no36's & 68's . It is now being redeveloped for housing but as it's only about a foot above the local water table I'm not sure how that will work out unless you like scuba diving......
o

Found one of the target trolleys, parts made and supplied by Hudson of Leeds, the trolley designed and made on site rather than made by Hudson themselves. Anyone seen a trolley on their local range. Wickham target trolleys with a Jap engine was the other common make. Anyone seen a Hudson one. This one is missing the other set of wheels its cable operated from a winch house.

Attachments

• Hudson target trolley4.jpg
    Hudson target trolley4.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Hudson target trolley1.jpg
    Hudson target trolley1.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 22