What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange 6 pdr APDS

greif

On the website of the Dutch ammo research club (NVBMB) a strange looking 6 pdr APDS shot is shown. It has no markings at all. There is a core inside.
Does anyone have more info on this projectile?

Attachments

• 6 pdr apds ee1.jpg
    6 pdr apds ee1.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 6 pdr apds ee3.jpg
    6 pdr apds ee3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 6 pdr apds ee2.jpg
    6 pdr apds ee2.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I would say its genuine from the shape of the lower petals and the six spots of alloy under the skirt.
curious, ive never seen before, presumsbly experimentsl of some type????

Are there any other markings on it?

Looking at the top view picture, I can't make out a seperate core (not saying there isn't one ... but I can't make it out). To me it looks like the "innards" form a single
/ solid piece, perhaps not even detached from the petals.
Again, to me, no break-up grooves visible. Perhaps an execise / practice round?

Regards,

Menno.

The projectile has no markings in stamping nor in painting. The owner has send me another picture. It seems that it is not a normal core. The upper part of the core (or what seems to be a core) has a skirt that looks like the upper skirt of the German 2,8 cm Pzgr 41. Perhaps it is a practice projectile for short range use. I have read in a Dutch military book on ammunition technics that there were APNDS projectiles (non-discarding-sabot) for testing cores on short shooting ranges.

Attachments

• 6 pdr apds ee4.jpg
    6 pdr apds ee4.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
If anyone is in touch with Tony Debski it would be worth asking him.
I was in touch with him in 1999 and he sent me a drawing of this type of projectile referring to it as "57mm DS type B". I've found his letter but lost the drawing!.
Dave.