What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vickers 3pdr 2cwt case

Vasco Da Gama

A recent find in an antique fair was this 3pdr 2cwt case (47x351R), not in bad overall condition and not a case you come across very often. The primer is interesting as I would read the date of manufacture as 1951, which is very late for this weapon. I suspect it has just been added later to fill a hole. My understanding is this weapon armed the Vickers Medium tank which saw very limited combat service in WW2 and was mainly used for training. Pictured alongside a naval 3pdr case (47x376R) and a 2pdr tank/anti-tank round.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 62
Vasco de Gama the one I have also is stamped 1929, the primer appears to be original cheers Womble DSC_0385.jpg

Vasco,

The primer on yours is some what unusual it that it was manufactured in 1944 (4XY) I believe by the Hercules Cycle Company. For some reason or another it was not filled until 1953 at ROF Chorley (CY). Although manufactured as a No. 15 II, it was filled as a No. 15 2/1, you'll note the II has been barred out. All that means is that he original primer had a coned plug that was replaced at filling, with a copper ball. On the periphery of the primer at 12 o/c and 6 o/c there is evidence of punch stabs, but no such marks on the case, this would suggest that the primer is not original to the case.

TimG

Last edited:
Thanks Gents for the additional info, particularly Tim, very impressed. I guess I need to look for an early 1930s No 2 primer!