What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery ( to me ) ammo box

nellerhorner11

Unearthed this from my heap whilst tidying up and wondered what it was for . It measures 17 x 8 x 3.25 inches , and features a leather carrying handle and a leather closure tab . Apart from the instructions inside , I can find no other markings . Apart from what ammo it contained I am also intrigued by the the painted stripe down the centre of the lid and also the significance of the scratched 'CRETE' on the leather handle.

Attachments

• 001 (Copy).JPG
    001 (Copy).JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 002 (Copy).JPG
    002 (Copy).JPG
    180 KB · Views: 52
  • 004 (Copy).JPG
    004 (Copy).JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 005 (Copy).JPG
    005 (Copy).JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 006 (Copy).JPG
    006 (Copy).JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 007 (Copy).JPG
    007 (Copy).JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 43
Box is for the "Portative" Hotchkiss segmented belt. Internal dividers have been removed, but you can see that the box would have contained six belts, and if properly loaded, each with the "long" six round segment pointed towards the handle of the box. If you search, you can find more info, including IMA used to offer this box with belts, but I haven't seen one of their ads in a while....
Hope this helps.
Taber

Used on WW1 tanks. They are quite common and frequently turn up on eBay. They often have the dividers missing and the original stencilling is often worn away or has been painted over.

The protrusion on the handle holds the box in racks inside the tank.

The painted stripe down the box would have had stencilling on it that seems to have been specific to the mark of tank. I have seen a red stripe stencilled MARK IV HOTCHKISS AMMUNITION BOX, dark blue stripe stencilled MARK V AND MEDIUM MARK A HOTCHKISS AMMUNITION BOX, and black stripe stencilled MARK VIII AND MEDIUM MARK A HOTCHKISS AMMUNITION BOX.

Thousands of these boxes were sold as surplus post WW1, including bulk quantities that were sold with plans showing how to build a storage cabinet with them for use in a workshop or garage.

I’m looking for boxes with original stencilling for MARK IV and MARK VIII tanks, as well as one of the correct belts.

Used on WW1 tanks. They are quite common and frequently turn up on eBay. They often have the dividers missing and the original stencilling is often worn away or has been painted over.

The protrusion on the handle holds the box in racks inside the tank.

The painted stripe down the box would have had stencilling on it that seems to have been specific to the mark of tank. I have seen a red stripe stencilled MARK IV HOTCHKISS AMMUNITION BOX, dark blue stripe stencilled MARK V AND MEDIUM MARK A HOTCHKISS AMMUNITION BOX, and black stripe stencilled MARK VIII AND MEDIUM MARK A HOTCHKISS AMMUNITION BOX.

Thousands of these boxes were sold as surplus post WW1, including bulk quantities that were sold with plans showing how to build a storage cabinet with them for use in a workshop or garage.

I’m looking for boxes with original stencilling for MARK IV and MARK VIII tanks, as well as one of the correct belts.

Thank you very much , that is fascinating .... have you ever seen one the cabinets made from them ?

Thank you very much , that is fascinating .... have you ever seen one the cabinets made from them ?
Never seen one, but a seller on eBay told me he had a large number of them which he sells the odd one from time to time, so maybe he found a quantity that had been used in this way.
I found the attached photo on the internet some time ago, it was posted on one of the WW1 forums (I don’t recall which forum).

Attachments

• 553FD2A3-8B9E-4CE3-AD2E-FB5921ADF4AF.jpeg
    553FD2A3-8B9E-4CE3-AD2E-FB5921ADF4AF.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 49
Never seen one, but a seller on eBay told me he had a large number of them which he sells the odd one from time to time, so maybe he found a quantity that had been used in this way.
I found the attached photo on the internet some time ago, it was posted on one of the WW1 forums (I don’t recall which forum).

Amazing , yes I can see how these ammo boxes could work like that in a frame. Very interesting .

Box is for the "Portative" Hotchkiss segmented belt. Internal dividers have been removed, but you can see that the box would have contained six belts, and if properly loaded, each with the "long" six round segment pointed towards the handle of the box. If you search, you can find more info, including IMA used to offer this box with belts, but I haven't seen one of their ads in a while....
Hope this helps.
Taber

Taber, you going to SLICS? JO