What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US M2 Mechanical Time Fuze, need information

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
I have what appears to be a 105mm M38 round. The proper fuze for it would be the M2, but searching through my publications, I can't find it. Same with a search here. Would anyone have pictures, drawing, info, etc. (or the odd fuze laying around that they'd sell or trade). Thanks, Bruce.

One of my references notes the M38 projectile utilized the M43 series fuze. Nothing I have shows an M2 fuze designation.

Hey, Slick. My source is TM 9-1901 Artillery Ammuniton 1944. The M38A1 used the M43 Fuze with an M20 booster adapter. The M38 used the M2 Fuze with an integral booster adapter. I can't even find a picture of the M20 booster adapter, which might answer some questions. I'll send pix tomorrow of the round. Thanks, Bruce.

I defer to your references. I did note mention of the M38/M2 combo in the text of one of my books. Says there were approx. (only) 18,000 crafted in that configuration, due to limited availability of the M2 before changing to the M38A1/M43. Am guessing they got used up pretty quickly. Still digging around looking for something on the M2.

Thanks Rick. That's what I thought the M20 was, just had no pix. This round has a screwy nose, almost like it was made for an M61 fuze. It has the right width of a rotating band, 1.42" and is definitely 105mm and is US with the base plate. It just had a wide taper and a 2" fuze well. I'll take pix tomorrow and put it in the Projo's. Thanks, again. Bruce.

Thank you, it is greatly appreciated. Well, that looks like it would fit a standard profile round. I wonder if the round I have was cut down for wind tunnel testing for the M61 fuze. I have the 105mm and a 90mm cut like that. Pix of the rounds will be posted tonight. Cheers, Bruce.