What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The merits - or otherwise - of brass coloured paint?

peregrinvs

I was wondering if anyone had recoloured any WWII German steel cartridge cases with brass coloured paint? If so, how did it look?

I ask as I picked up an inexpensive dug but solid 7,5cm KwK40 case at Stoneleigh recently and I was considering whether a coat of antique brass coloured paint would be an overall cosmetic improvement? It will hold a restored projectile at some point.

The appearance of brass is difficult to replicate with paint. I have had quite a few replica rounds (turned from solid aluminium alloy) made by Mick Wilkinson, and he has experimented with various brass paint finishes, but the result is not that convincing - see the four rounds in the centre of this group:

aauk1.jpg

Something like a pigmented wax,ie ,'Rub and Buff',can be effective,though it doesn't wear too well with handling.

If you want to have them new and shiny the best you can get is the result as Tony showed. However with a little aging allowed, you might find a way to mix some brown, green and red acrylic paint mix them, compare it with a old aged case you have, and if you found the correct color, put it over the brass finish, using a sponge or so, and after it, wipe it with a clean cloth. I did a few of the Finish 8,8 cases and i cant see the differance between the real and restored case without checking the headstamps.

Thanks for all the replies. I shall take a policy decision when I’ve finished cleaning it and will post some pics if I paint it.