Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

.303 MkVII lower case darkened but why?

good morning, please see the attached photo of a .303 MkVII dated 1937 (its a 4 figure date). The lower portion of the case is darkened. Can anyone tell me why this should be?

many thanks, dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Hi dave, i think it could be one of these used for match shooting, i should have added,they were done like that to distinguish them for normal rounds.
    Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andysarmoury; 12th February 2018 at 09:25 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andysarmoury For This Useful Post:

reccetrooper (12th February 2018)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    nice one Andy, many thanks, Dave

Thanks
    Dave,

If it is for Match Rifle, and as such has a boat-tailed bullet, it should have the letters "SL" [for "Stream Line"] in the headstamp, and be made by Kynoch. However, the specimens that I have seen all have the two-digit date.

I have seen similar rounds made by Greenwood & Batley, with blackened head, and 4-digit date (but only 1938), but I have not been able to find out the significance of the black stain. Kynoch seems to have had a monopoly of supplying ammunition for the "Match Rifle" competitions at Bisley (they donated all that required for the competitions in the "Hopton" Aggregate), but I suppose G&B could have tried to provide such ammo for the shooters for commercial purchase, but I have never seen a box that indicates this, or seen any other evidence to suggest this was the case.

Roger.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ydnum303 For This Useful Post:

Andysarmoury (12th February 2018), reccetrooper (12th February 2018)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ydnum303 View Post
    Dave,

If it is for Match Rifle, and as such has a boat-tailed bullet, it should have the letters "SL" [for "Stream Line"] in the headstamp, and be made by Kynoch. However, the specimens that I have seen all have the two-digit date.

I have seen similar rounds made by Greenwood & Batley, with blackened head, and 4-digit date (but only 1938), but I have not been able to find out the significance of the black stain. Kynoch seems to have had a monopoly of supplying ammunition for the "Match Rifle" competitions at Bisley (they donated all that required for the competitions in the "Hopton" Aggregate), but I suppose G&B could have tried to provide such ammo for the shooters for commercial purchase, but I have never seen a box that indicates this, or seen any other evidence to suggest this was the case.

Roger.
    Doh! just as I thought I wasn't confused any more. Thanks Roger, back to the drawing board! I'll pop the bullet and have a look - and just after I'd packed them all away too!

Dave

Images
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Dave, try it against a charger and I think the dark portion will match the depth of the charger, seen this time and time again where rounds have been stored in chargers for long periods of time...the full year date,up to 1939,would indicate that your round was originally aircraft grade.

Tony

Thanks
    Dave, The bullet is not a usual British one as it has knurling at the case mouth and the case has crimping in the neck. Something not quite right.

Relbut

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    when I find it again (in a box of hundreds) I'll pop the bullet, try it against a clip and see if that tells us anything. Thanks, Relbut & SMLE. Dave

Images
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by relbut View Post
    Dave, The bullet is not a usual British one as it has knurling at the case mouth and the case has crimping in the neck. Something not quite right.

Relbut

Yes, you have a point there, only knurling I have come across on English .303" projectiles are on some tracer and incendiary rounds.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smle2009 View Post
    Yes, you have a point there, only knurling I have come across on English .303" projectiles are on some tracer and incendiary rounds.
    I have ten .303" cartridges with the visible knurling at the case mouth into which the case mouth was crimped. They were already pulled when I got them and no powder was present. The headstamps are U 15 VII and they all have the darkened case at the lower portion. The bullets are ball, flat based, CN jacketed, non-magnetic and all have a second, wider, knurl low down inside the neck containing wax sealant. The exposed lead alloy at the base is stamped U.

The upper edge of the blackening on the cases looks too regular to me to be caused by chargers. Wouldn't a charger stain be mainly on opposite sides and vary in height? Also, as rounds in chargers have staggered rims shouldn't any staining be darker on the ones touching the bottom of the charger than on the other two?

gravelbelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast