What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills grenade found in Norway...........

Hi,

I was cleaning out my Norwegian in-laws cellar on the weekend and was given a lot of ammunition to dispose of, lots of 6.5mm Krag ammo, WW2 British, German and US 9mm, Canadian made .303 'Z', .30 cal, .30 carbine, Winchester 9mm 'Sub-machinegun'....... I already had some of these so I gave all the rifle and pistol ammo away to a friend.

I kept a mint Sten mag loader, 3 x unused Mauser 6.35mm mags, a still wrapped M1 carbine mag, Krag parts inc. a complete bolt etc............ there was also an empty 1945 Mills grenade........... It was almost complete, but the filling hole plug was missing.

Anyway, it's probably a pretty common Mills and I though you might be interested in seeing it,

Cheers, John (can I buy a filling hole plug somewhere?)

u0OrB84.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, looks like it's never been used :)

Here's part of what was in my in-laws cellar, I gave most of it to a friend in my pistol club but kept the gun parts, German alloy MG ammo boxes (dated 1940 and 1941) det cord, Sten mag loader and a few other things. The boxes with the blue labels are German steel cased 9mm, in the centre are .30 Carbine and 9mm Winchester Submachine gun and a roll of det cord. Up the back is a German MG ammo box with hundreds of Winchester 9mm and then Canadian .303 on the left.
My friend kept some of it but usually hands in what he doesn't want to the police.

hdeKlJR.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Kiwi,

my wife's grandfather and uncle were in the MILORG (resistance) and an old friend was a sabotage group leader, I ended up with most of the family WW2 things and my friend gave me an unused M1 carbine with ammo and mags, pencil fuses, Mills grenade, sabotage plans, explosives instructions, and all sorts of things.........

Even my dentist gave me a complete 'Sweetheart' receiver still in it's box.....
Up at our cabin there's all sorts of stuff as it was used as a weapons storage place...... so I guess you are correct!

uAIRTPl.jpg

Nice collection. Who is the manufacture of the M1 Carbine? It looks pristine. Cheers, Bruce.

Great find! Any idea what the maker code is on the German 16 round boxes. If possible a photo of the labels would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly looking for boxes with the code "cdp" as the maker of the case or as the loader.

Cheers,
Lew

Great find! Any idea what the maker code is on the German 16 round boxes. If possible a photo of the labels would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly looking for boxes with the code "cdp" as the maker of the case or as the loader.

Cheers,
Lew

Hi Lew, this is as good as I can get, all the boxes I had have gone now......... there's still a few at the cabin, you might have to wait until the snow has melted though, cheers, John

596FbWi.png

I really admire resistance fighters and the sacrifices they made for their country,you must be proud of your relatives.
I would like a copy of the sabotage plans and explosive instructions if you still have them

Yes, looks like it's never been used :)

Here's part of what was in my in-laws cellar, I gave most of it to a friend in my pistol club but kept the gun parts, German alloy MG ammo boxes (dated 1940 and 1941) det cord, Sten mag loader and a few other things. The boxes with the blue labels are German steel cased 9mm, in the centre are .30 Carbine and 9mm Winchester Submachine gun and a roll of det cord. Up the back is a German MG ammo box with hundreds of Winchester 9mm and then Canadian .303 on the left.
My friend kept some of it but usually hands in what he doesn't want to the police.

hdeKlJR.jpg

Is that bickford fuse I can see in the first picture left...... Dave

Hi Flightpath,
Looks you have found some interesting historical items, please take a minute to read the rules onsite about posting pictures of live ammunition and firearms and also using off site image hosting for uploading pictures as these often disapear leaving threads useless after they are gone.
best Weasel

Thanks for the heads up Weasel, I'll check it out.
millsbomber, not sure what Bickford fuse is but it is a roll of fuse. Cheers, John