What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Dimensions for a 37 x 94 ?

doppz92

Premium Member
Hello everyone, I thought of submitting this puzzle to the knowledge of this forum. I bought this at the local car boot this morning, but can't make out what it is exactly. Calibre is 37mm, but dimensions are wrong as shown on pictures, the weird case is on the right compare to a regular 37x94. The length is about 1mm longer, the diameter of the head rim is also about 1mm too large and as shown the neck is too short. There 's no markings what so ever on the head, and it isn't primed, so no clue there either. Has someone ever seen such a case?

Image-2.jpgImage-3.jpgImage-1.jpgImage.jpg

My first thought was a unmarked Vickers stretched by firing, but the thicker rim works against that idea. I checked Hawkinson, and could not find any thing 37x95 with a wider than the usual 44mm, actually the later varieties of 37mm have rims slightly smaller.

Is it possibly a 37-73 opposed to the much more common 37-85? That case should however be even longer, it measures according to my information 37x100R48 i.s.o. 37x94R44.