What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mine bounding M16 , USA

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a US manufactured M16 bounding anti personel mine. The mine concists of a cast iron machined mine body, in which a machined top flange is placed. The two parts are held together by a pipe in the centre that is swaged to the bottom of the mine body, in top the pipe is threaded on the outside so the top flange can be screwed over the pipe. In the bottom of the mine body, a chamber is machined to receive a small sheet metal tin with 4,5 grams of black powder, used to throw the mine upward in the air, and ignite the pyrotechnic delay of the detonator. The detonator is placed in a cast in RDX booster (green).
The mine body is placed in a pressed sheet steel pot, used as “barrel” to launch the mine upward. The pot is packed in a sheet metal can that resembles a soup can and keeps the mine watertight for some years. THis can is painted olive green with yellow stenceling
The fuzing system is placed in the centre pipe and consists of the M605 press/pull fuze, to which a pipe is screwed containing the firing cap (red, in top) and pyrotechnic delay , to which the propelling initiating charge (red) is crimped.

Description and functioning of Pressure/pull fuze M605.
The M605 fuze has a pressure piston -placed in the fuze housing-, on which three pressure sprongs are placed in top. To the base of this piston a wedge is machined. The piston is kept in upward position by a spring.
Below the piston a horizontal slider is placed in the fuze housing, kept in inward position by a spring. The slider has a slot machined, rectangular in shape, ending in a round hole. The spring loaded firing pin has part with a smaller diameter that fits the rectangular slot and keeps the firing pin in upward position. If the pull fuze is activated, the slider moved sideways, up till the moment the firing pin falls in the round part of the slider and is able to move downward into the firing cap.
If the pressure fuze is activated, the wedge is pushed downward, forcing the slider outward, releasing the firing pin.

Functioning of the mine:
Upon activation of the fuze, the firing cap (red, in top) activates the pyrotechnic delay below the firing cap which has a 3 seconds delay to allow the victim to step off the mine before it is propelled upward. The propelling initiating charge (red) ignites the tin with 4,5 grams black powder that propels the mine up into the air. At the same time the pyrotechnic delay of the detonator is ignited, delaying explosion of the mine until it is 1 to 1,5 mtrs high in the air

The difference between the M16 and M16A1 bounding mine can be found in the detonators and boosters. The M16A2 mine is of a different design with the fuze not placed in the centere, but offset from the centre.
The design of the mine can be traced back tot he German S-mine 35.
The mine can be found in the following countries:
Angola, Cambodja, Chile, Cuba, Cyprus, Eritrea, Etheopia, Korea, Malawi, Myamar, Somalia, Thailand, Vietnam, Western Sahara, Zambia.
The mine is produced by The USA and India (India Ordnance factories)
Data:
Diameter of mine : 104mm
Height of the mine: 205mm
Operating weight / pull: minimal 3,6 kg pressure, mnimal 1,4 kg pull
Weight mine: 3,75 kg (with fuze inserted)
Explosives : 0,575 kg TNT
Lethal range: up to 30 mtrs
Ijuries up to : 200 mtrs

This cutaway model is not made by me, but by Joop Dijkman of MTM-CE, what can clearly be observed by the high quality of this cutaway model.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - Mine , Bounding M16, cutaway.jpg
    01 - Mine , Bounding M16, cutaway.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 02 - Mine , bounding M16 , backside.jpg
    02 - Mine , bounding M16 , backside.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 70
DJH

Nice of you to recognize the quality of Joop's work. Coming from the MASTER of cutaways, that's high praise.

Rick