What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was crimping the projectiles onto 6 pounder 57mm cartridge cases optional?

jeff w

I have seen a number of 6 pounder and M23 57mm cartridge cases with no crimping at all, yet have hit primers. Was crimping the projectile onto the cases optional? If so, what was the criteria?
For example, these cases have no crimp marks at all;

DSCF0680.jpgDSCF0678.jpgDSCF0677.jpgDSCF0674.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmm..... In the above picture I noticed I had incorrectly placed my capped projectile in the 41' case (with March 42' primer) - APC was not produced until I think October 42'.
While switching the projectile out I noticed how HARD it was to get the projectile out of the uncrimped case, and how EASY it was to remove my AP projectile from my 43 dated crimped case.
I am going to hypothesize that if the case manufacturer had a tight neck tolerance, the crimping step could be skipped....???
Has anyone else noticed the tightness of uncrimped cases?

Last edited:
from my experience, with pre WW1 6 pdrs crimping was not often done. Nordenfelt 6 pdrs were most likely to be crimped.

OK I am ready to advance this from hypothesis to theory.
I have examined 5 M23 cases manufactured by "BBI" all dated 1943 and none of them are crimped.
The 2 CL/C manufactured cases I have are both crimped.
I theorize that the crimping was based on the case manufacturer (and possibly the year/lot).

Can anyone debunk this theory with BBI or RM/C or ECC manufactured cases that are crimped, or CL/C cases (with primers) that are not crimped?

Last edited:
Jeff. I will add my collection items to your theory.
ECC 1942 Lot 294 has a ring crimp and possibly 4 faint slit crimps as well. No reload marks.
RL 1942 seems to have a faint crimp ring but not sure.
RM/C 1942 both mine are full ring crimped.
FA 1943 has 4 deep slit crimps.
MF 1942 and other Aussie cases have no crimps it seems.We find a few new cases.

I hope this gives you more samples to prove your theories. Not many replies so far. Ron

Thanks Ron. Going to be tough to come up with enough samples to figure this out I'm afraid.