What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ohio Valley Military Society "Show of Shows"

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
Spent the afternoon at the Louisville Fairgrounds where this years OVMS Show of Shows took place. I've been going to it for years, but I finally became a member. I think I found most of the ordnance there and bought a good portion of it. The show is on a yearly basis and always around this time of the year. A tremendous amount of Militaria and weapons. A great place to find some odd things. Talked to one gentleman there who had a US WWI 25lb bomb and found out it was our Wichita slum lord. We had a good long talk discussing, needless to say, ordnance. Below is pictured my haul. Got it for 75% of the asking and I'm pretty sure 50% of actual price. The 3" MK II, 20mm ShVak HE, Ni mortar round, 25mm Japanese Hotchkiss AA, and the 20mm Beckers were especially well priced. The M110 nose fuze for the 20lb Frag bomb was an unexpected find. The full up 40mm is a British in a US MK II casing while the other 40mm is IN a British casing. You can see where I'm going with this one. The other two 40mm casings are M25, so I can finally put my US Army 40mm in the proper casing. I have no idea what the links are for but from the markings I suspect they are for the 30mm Rarden. All in all, a great day.

P1011061.jpgP1011062.jpgP1011063.jpgP1011064.jpg

Last edited:
Just a guess on the links, RG is ROF Radway Green ,77 03 is probably March 1977 .Radway Green made 30mm x170 KCB ,30mm x 173 KCA ,30mm x 86 Aden (low velocity ) and 30mm x 111 Aden (High velocity )as well as30mm x 170 Rarden which are clip fed, so the links probably belong to one of the first four .Sorry I can't be of more help

Thanks, Big Dave. I'd lean to the KCB or KCA since the Aden rounds would swim in them. The only reason I was leaning originally to the Rarden was because of the Radway stamp. Unfortunately, I'm ignorant on the KCB, KCA or the Rarden. Guess I'll try to cure that here. Thanks, Bruce.

Damn, it kills me I can’t get to this show. Can anybody tell me about the Japanese ordnance that showed up at SOS?? I know it’s not permitted but I sometimes take pics of interesting pieces with my iPhone. Japanese mines,bombs or large artillery rounds? I’m looking for a good T2 40mm rifle grenade.

Jim
japaneseOrdnance at yahoo.com

Jim, didn't see the rifle grenade, but there were plenty of Ni mortar rounds with appropriate pricing. Some artillery fuzes. I picked up a Japanese Naval mech time/PD fuze, but being ignorant on Japanese stuff, I'll have to research it to give a nomenclature. Also found and bought all of the Japanese Type 98 AA gun 20mm's that I saw, two HE and a Type 100 AP. Not as much ordnance this year as in the past. The gent that usually has loads of projo's wasn't there this year. There were a couple of gents that had some good collections of US hand grenades, mostly different variants of the MK II, but they also had two correct MK I's, with the according pricing. I went back today to visit National Gun Day and the SOS and found some other stuff that I looked over Thursday. Cheers, Bruce.

Late entry: Went to the trusty OP1667 and found the fuze is a Type 91 MT. What I thought was a PD back up is the setback hammer to start the MT sequence. Cheers, Bruce.

Last edited:
Damn, it kills me I can’t get to this show. Can anybody tell me about the Japanese ordnance that showed up at SOS?? I know it’s not permitted but I sometimes take pics of interesting pieces with my iPhone. Japanese mines,bombs or large artillery rounds? I’m looking for a good T2 40mm rifle grenade.

Jim
japaneseOrdnance at yahoo.com

Bruce covered most of the Japanese stuff pretty well but I did see the 40mm rifle grenade there. It was a nice example and priced at $1500 or $1600, if I recall. Not sure if it sold. I passed up an interesting variation of the dummy/practice T10 grenade for $125 that I never should have walked away from Oops.

Rick