What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm Bofors HE-T-SD, HE-I-P 1942, 1944.

Just for interest, I acquired these with an 81mm mortar, estate sale. Believed to be original paint. Heavily coated in lacquer, chipping, poor appearance but well marked on the fuze, driving bands, and cases. No dents and crimped in projectiles. One fuze marked "Lot 2815, T.E.I. 8-44", the other similar but dated 1943. The red/green fuze is unmarked. Cases marked MK 1, 5-42, 10-42, and 10-42. One case has a missing primer, and looking into it can see it is in fact a hollow based projectile. Not pretty, but the first I have that are crimped and of the self destruct type. My plans are to strip off the lacquer, and leave the projectiles as is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 40
Nice rounds, thanks for showing them, i can't find that colour scheme in my docs either but i would venture that green is HE Prac and yellow band is to show that a dark ignition tracer is fitted.
Best Weasel

The color band I believe is white, but the round has been heavily lacquered and I think the lacquer turned the white into a yellowish white. I stripped the lacquer off the case ( it looks new) but I am leaving the projectile alone. I have had good results stripping the lacquer then a citric acid wash, leaving it in the garage on the workbench for a few months and it develops a nice honey patina. The red/green round has a terrible, thick peeling lacquer, it will be next.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 28