What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Value of WWII British 6 Pounder APDS projectile in US is over $500

M8owner

One just sold on GunBroker for approx. $550 with the wrong case - US M23A1. There are two more up for sale from the same collection. It was in nice condition with all its original paint and markings. At least two people though it was worth this much.

Just hope no one bids on the casing I want from the same dealer. :neutral: I need at least two more of 'em. :xd:

Second one sold for over $560. One more to go. There was a new bidder in the mix. That makes three who believe that is the market price.

I wonder if the "Broad Arrow" ink stamp was original to the M23 casings?

A nice 6 pounder APDS projectile just sold at auction in the US on Gunbroker for $630.

Last edited:
Makes me think of this opportunity I passed on. I did buy manage to get two 2 pdr projectiles but communication was difficult so I didn't try for any of the APDS projectiles as I already had two.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_2446[1].jpg
    IMG_2446[1].jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 105
Well, it's not only the projectiles that's a problem, next come the shellcases with the high crimp (at the casemouth instedad of 15mm lower for the rest of the types) that are very difficult to obtain.
Regards, DJH

How are you going to remove the tungsten core without seriously and visably damaging the projectile?

How are you going to remove the tungsten core without seriously and visably damaging the projectile?

Well, the base just unscrews on the one I have which is missing the core and is not damaged in any way ..................
There were a number of them missing the cores - all came from the same source (yes - there was a barrel full of tungsten cores).

Last edited:
953e8530-0235-431b-ae2e-b12d374e3977.jpg

Except for that grievous cut lengthwise - I'm assuming that was done for demilling to the German law, but still it's sad to see one in otherwise such good nick butchered like that.

I look at the auction prices in UK and see they are half price Australian prices. 6Pr or 17Pr APDS with core is at least A$500 bit less without core.
Prices all depend on where you live so are irrelevant and depends on how eagerly you need an item. Auctions also have buyer premiums that really hurt plus postage.

OK, so I found my mine and it is actually a 17pdr, not a 6pdr. I also now gather where your comment came from as it seems unlike the 17pdr. the 6pdr enclosed outer tungsten steel sheath has the core integrated within. The 17pdr steel sheath on the other hand has a detachable base section, which enables the core to be inserted and the base then screws on. The detachable base is too well machined to be a later "hack" job and there appears no way to separate /extract the top section from the petals.

Interesting, I would have thought they would have used the same design for both the 6pdr and 17pdr APDS.

Attachments

• 20220112_091614.jpg
    20220112_091614.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220112_091542.jpg
    20220112_091542.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220112_091327.jpg
    20220112_091327.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220112_091311.jpg
    20220112_091311.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 25
So, that's what I meant. They just machined the inner aluminium shell in two pieces on a lathe -top and bottom- to remove the tungsten core. That was what I meant. The fact that you do not see this if you place the two halves back in the sabot assembly does not mean it's not wrecked.
Why on earth remove the core?

Last edited: