What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Mortar (?) Find

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
Well, I forked over some cash on the off hand that this might be something other than a well machined chunk of steel and brass. Dimensions are as follows:

Diameter: 1.830" or 46.482mm
Length: 10.875" (10 7/8") or 276.225mm
Weight: 2lb 12.5oz (US) or 1.26KG

47mm Mortar was floated around, and having seen some of the drawings, I thought maybe. Not quite sure. Thoughts? Cheers, Bruce.

P1011069.jpgP1011070.jpgP1011071.jpgP1011072.jpg

Bruce,

I was also at the show and saw that piece. Sorry I missed meeting you but talked with Pat about some of your finds. Jerry Janik (aka Mr. Mortar) and I discussed that one and came to the conclusion that it is an American Armament 47mm that was never finished. I think it would have had holes drilled in the tail and 3 fins spot welded as well. Cool item as anything from AAC is pretty scarce.

Rick, If I'd have know some of the BOCN was going to be there, I'd have made my presence known. I just live 40 miles from the show. Sorry I missed y'all. I'll have to pull up the pubs for the 47mm, though I don't know where they are. Good to know the consensus is leaning towards the 47mm mortar. Not a bad show. I was there Thursday and Saturday. I did see another AAC 37mm AP brass capped but it was stuck on top of an M16B series casing and the gent wanted 125.00 for it. Saturday ended up buying (among other goodies) an M374 81mm HE with a gutted M524A5 or A6 on a whim, though it was a good price. Got an M524 or M524A1 (single pin) with the internals on Thursday. Cheers, Bruce.

Did a search on line for 47mm AAC and found only this image, but it at least confirms that it is a 47mm AAC Mortar. Thanks, all!

1519600658375108370073.jpg