What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this ? 40mm/2pr of some sort ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
Picked up this casing and paid perhaps a bit more than I might like, but
it seems to be some what unusual (I Hope). Looks like a baby 17pr
but measures of course much smaller at;

40mm bore, there are no crimp marks that I can see, it was fired and has some pressure cracks, tight with a 40mm projectile but it is a touch out of round at the top
from kicking around I guess, I haven't forced one in and it would have to be annealed first to be safe I think. Something of a mystery case - experimental ?
Length 15 3/6" or 385mm
Base diameter 3" or 76mm

Markings; No readable designation if there was one, LOT 1, 1942, RM/C

Image shows 2pr & 6pr for scale.

Attachments

• IMG_0003 2.JPG
    IMG_0003 2.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0002 7.JPG
    IMG_0002 7.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0001 12.JPG
    IMG_0001 12.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0001 13.JPG
    IMG_0001 13.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 52
40x385R76 A6Canadaexp 2Pr David HV ATnecked, shortened 57x464R case

Could be this one....made from a 6Pr 10cwt case

It's not converted Lot 1 indicates just that, made up new, smaller than the 6pr., I don't think it could be made from
one of those.
What is this David HV AT ?

Attachments

• IMG_0001 14.jpg
    IMG_0001 14.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 26
It's not converted Lot 1 indicates just that, made up new, smaller than the 6pr., I don't think it could be made from
one of those.
What is this David HV AT ?

That rings a bell - it was a Canadian AT gun project IIRC. Never got past the experimental stage. That's about all I know, though. The 76mm rim diameter is the same as the 6 pdr 8 cwt Hotchkiss but obviously your case is a lot longer.

An arrowhead shot with a tungsten core and a steel and plastic body was designed for this round. Apparently accuracy was poor as the plastic ballistic cap disintegrated on firing effecting stability. Standard APCBC projectiles were also tested.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have never seen a capped 2pr projectile over here, only common shot and most of those
are practice. The Arrowhead must be unheard of ~

Last edited:
Q , is there any sort of reference or drawing for the projectiles ? Can you post a picture of a 2pr APCBC ~

"An arrowhead shot with a tungsten core and a steel and plastic body was designed for this round. Apparently accuracy was poor as the plastic ballistic cap disintegrated on firing effecting stability. Standard APCBC projectiles were also tested. "

Q , is there any sort of reference or drawing for the projectiles ? Can you post a picture of a 2pr APCBC ~

"An arrowhead shot with a tungsten core and a steel and plastic body was designed for this round. Apparently accuracy was poor as the plastic ballistic cap disintegrated on firing effecting stability. Standard APCBC projectiles were also tested. "

Not the greatest picture, will try and post a picture of an inert round tomorrow.
cee10fbdeefc8317f62e3863fce25fdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The neck was a bit out of shape and after some tinkering it is now better.
It is too tight for a 2pr practice shot and it must have been fired in a tight chamber
otherwise expansion would have made it loose as one normally finds casings.
So I'm thinking it was used with the trial projectile as described which is a push fit, no
crimps and is perhaps slightly under 40mm below the band. Unless there is variance
among the regular 2pr projectiles (more than one might expect) one of those would split the case.
There are some small splits, wether from later abuse of from firing I have no idea. Annealing the
neck area of the case would keep it from getting worse but not keep if from splitting if a tight
projectile is forced in.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 7