What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7 inch AA restoration

Darkman

My 3.7" AA project is finally completed. I don't usually paint shells, but this one had been chromed (was made into a lamp with a hole in the base). I wouldn't normally polish a case either but this one fitted the shell nicely and was a little rough. It came up ok though and I'll let the brass tarnish right off again.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

Lovely!!! Beats the heck out of any of the work I've done, so far. Great piece. Cheers, Bruce.

Great work Darkman! I have one that was never painted and would make a great candidate for a restoration like that. I`m sure fabricating the stencils was labor intensive.

I`m sure fabricating the stencils was labor intensive.

I didn't use stencils - done by hand using tape as upper/lower guides and pencil mark guides for the letters. A bit rough, but they were rough in real life - not perfect as obtained using stencils and spray painting. The whole shell is painted by hand, not sprayed at all. Cheers

Hi Graeme,

Very impressive indeed!
Nothing wrong with shiny cases - but then I had a misguided youth polishing the rotten things!!! (LOL)
Cheers
Drew