What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firearms Certificate

celica

Hi, i've just applied for a Firearms Certificate and i'm awaiting the home visit by the Firearms officer. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the police visit when they see what we collect? My safe is in the same room as my collection, it's literally wedged in between a display cabinet full of small arms rounds, magazines full of bullets, a claymore mine etc and a shelf full of 105mm How rounds and mortars.
I can just see the headline now "House Full of Ordnance"

i'd love to hear from other FAC holders.

Cheers Nathan

Interesting......
the last application for my certificate ( for rifles as well as prohibited projectiles ), led me to having a second meeting with senior officers regarding the displaying of my ammunition....concern being that if the collection was stolen say, these rounds could be used in weapons.
Point taken, until I pointed out the fact that all my SAA items are inert...so not much use to a potential thief!( this was known to them, just not realised it seems!).
So all good there, and I did point out too that my collection is held in my attic so not on general display for all to see....this satisfied them even further.
So after all that, it's pretty much down to common sense really...we collect stuff that doesn't sit too well with a large proportion of people so best not to advertise the fact too much...my take on it anyway.

Bockscar.

Hi Nathan,
if you are understandably worried,I would suggest you remove fuzes,and separate component parts such as projectiles and cases etc.
so that you can show items are inert as much as you can.Also inform and reassure the person before they enter room to lessen any surprises.
Are you applying for a certificate for firearms,or to collect live ammo?
You can have a certificate for collection purposes,this may be a good move if you are collecting small arms ammo,
a certificate for this may give you peace of mind,as complete inert rounds look the same as live rounds.
And you can produce confirmation of right to hold.
I think membership of sites like this and groups such as ECRA,also may help,and showing knowledge and understanding of the subject.
If the inspector has a good sensible attitude,you should be ok,as long as everything is legal and above board.
Just my thoughts,hope it helps.
Tim.

When I was living in the Sheffield area some 20 years ago, the Firearms Officers were all gentlemen and I had no problems at all - my certificate was for collecting purposes, up to 1500 miscellaneous calibre rounds, up to 3cm including Section 5 stuff.

The only excitement I had, was from a junior Officer who got all hot under the collar with my German blue and red wood-bulleted blanks - he did not know what they were and thought they looked "dangerous".

The Sheffield Firearms Officers at that time were all "shooters" themselves so understood what it was all about.

Here in Kent now - the guys are as good as gold - just very over-stretched because of cost savings. My certificate was issued no quibble, 5 months overdue!

I'm applying for firearms and shotgun, I'm a member of a shooting range and hoping to get into practical shotgun. I did intend on asking FEO about a condition for collecting. I'll make sure everthing on display is easily shown inert.

Last edited:
Just had my interview, not a problem with any of it. He even said one of his relations is into this sort of stuff.