What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Lb with a difference

pzgr40

Premium Member
Who can help me on info about this 4lb incendiary with explosive haed.
It has an inner pipe of magnesium (blue in drawing). I found this interesting and very detailed booklet "development of British incendiary bombs" on the internet, but nowhere there is any info about inner pipes.
It has no hole for the spring loaded safety plunjer is the bomb body, but it does have this hole in the fuze body (green in drawing).
It occured to me that the cross on top of the firing pin does have to be smashed down with considerable force to bend the lips inward and so activate the firing pin, so I wonder if there was a type of 4lb incendiary without safety plunjer (late war type /simplified production), as the plunjer does not realy add to safety.

Thanks in advance ,
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 4 lb inc.jpg
    4 lb inc.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 91
  • 4lb inc. with HE head.pdf
    139.3 KB · Views: 91
Maybe a 4 Lb X ?

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_27.jpg
    Zuschneiden_27.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Zuschneiden_28.jpg
    Zuschneiden_28.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 41
Hi Rob, I know it's an X type. But somehow the safety plunger is missing in this type( no hole for it in bomb body) and I cannot explain the pipe (blue in drawing). That's why I am wondering why thus type differs.
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
MKI.jpgMKIVS.jpg englische Das 1. Bild soll ein Mk I und das 2. ein Mk IV SFarrben und Maße.jpg Aufstellung der Farben und Masse

Gruss Joerg

Hi DJH,

very interesting. I have never seen this before without the safety plunger and with the magnesium pipe between the body and the thermit pellets. Perhaps really a simplified version. Unfortunately no reference in the documents.

Rgds, Mossie