What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victorian B.L 12pdr 7cwt shrapnel shell 1895 with No.55 fuze

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
and they still turn up! one of a pair that turned up today. I believe this is for the 12pdr 7cwt, rather than the 6cwt, due to the No.55 fuze - which is stamped 'dummy', and the fact that this is a base ejection shrapnel shell.

2 questions though, is the base screwed or pushed in and secondly what does C.S.F stand for on the base?

many thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 100_3412.jpg
    100_3412.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_3414.jpg
    100_3414.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 89
Hi Dave,
The base is pushed in and held by pins, I think it was manufactured for the 6 cwt gun.

Kind regards
Jim

thanks Jim, I didn't want to whack it with a mallet if it had threads! Its twin is dated 1893 - a year before the 6cwt entered service which is why I think this is for the 7cwt. The No.55 fuze is also dated 1893 and I think the 6cwt used the later No.56 fuze. Either way it is what it is!

many thanks, dave

Anyone any idea what C.S.F stands for? (it has a I above it if that makes a difference)

thanks, Dave

Dave,

I have a 15 pr marked CSF and have seen a copper gas check plate for a very large RML shell so marked. It's a manufacturer's mark, but whose, I don't know.

TimG

Dave,

I have a 15 pr marked CSF and have seen a copper gas check plate for a very large RML shell so marked. It's a manufacturer's mark, but whose, I don't know.

TimG

How about Cossipore Shell Factory?

How about Cossipore Shell Factory?

Actually that might make sense as the guns were certainly in India during the 1890s and I wonder if some were left there when the 6cwt was introduced. In the absence of anything better, I can live with that.

many thanks Norman

Bonnex,

I think you may well have solved it. Although there is no "I" on my 15 Pr., there is one immediately above CSF on the gas check plate, as on the 12 Pr., which must signify India.

TimG