What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Secret rocket in WW11-what was it?

ROBIN BIRD

The Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment, Scotland, tested a rocket that would strike the water and then continue about 10 ft to 15 ft above the sea until it hit the target. After water tank tests at Glen Fruin 2,500 such rockets were manufactured to attack submarines and shipping. Apparently during testing an aircrew died after a mishap during the launching of two of these experimental rockets. Does anyone know the name of this rocket, or details of the fatal accident?

Hi Robin Bird,
a quick search in the National Archive website can give some hints:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.g...e+Aircraft+Experimental+Establishment"+rocket

At least one of the documents could be of your interest:
[h=1][FONT=&quot]AVIA 19/1063 (1944) [/FONT]Review of first rocket trials in main tank[/h]but it is not available online. Two other docs can be useful (or maybe they are talking about something else, due to the date):

[FONT=&quot]AVIA 19/712 (1943) [/FONT]Sunderland Mk III aircraft: rocket projector installation
[h=1][FONT=&quot]AVIA 19/715 (1943) [/FONT]Catalina aircraft rocket projector installation[/h]but they are not available online too.
NA staff can scan the documents by payment. Hope it helps.

Thank you. I will look it up next time I am at Kew. I have details of the Catalina rocket projectors. Your feedback is appreciated