What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the going rate: 16"/50 1700 lb projo?

I agree it is much safer to move the large projectiles laid on their side.

But you need to make damn sure they won't roll from side to side. If one starts moving around it will try to turn over the vehicle it is in when you go around a corner. When I moved mine it was strapped to a heavy pallet with lots of large straps. It did not move. You also need to make sure it cannot move forward in an accident. If you stop suddenly you don't want the projectile to continue to move.

I moved mine once. I don't intend to move it again. Moving them is not trivial, and if it goes wrong it will be messy.

Last edited:
for moving these biggies i made a few special beams in my trailer to secure them, preventing rolling over etc. strap them down with ratching straps.
Just the picture has rolled over 180 degrees :tinysmile_hmm_t:, iphone issue.

Attachments

• 28cm karretje.jpg
    28cm karretje.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 47
image.jpeg
What is a bush hog?
Sorry, Bobcat is what I meant to say.They put a bucket with large teethe on them to clear brush. As for moving these things, you tube has a few vintage Navy 16" training films showing how they moved them with a large rope, the inner most ring in the turret is independently rotated, and rope leverage drags it onto the middle loading ring ( loading ring has the projectile elevator at the end). Interesting pictures.i will see if I can post the vintage Naval link for interest.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Bush hog = bush hog.jpg

Bush hog is a brand name, sorta like Xerox, Kleenex, Bobcat, etc. Some refer to them as rotary cutters.

Here it is. I would like to know if anyone can tell me the year of manufacture. Band markings: "ADL 53711- 657334-000 16 IN."
Fuze markings:" 10001-2512216-A MK71 MOD 15, ACC94B001-004". Interesting is the aluminum fuze adapter is unmarked, previous owner says he thinks it was a lathe turned reproduction as there are no markings. It all fits and screws down fine. See pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
A matched pair? I 'd be thinking more about a reinforced concrete floor.
Regards, DJH

The aluminum fuze adaptor is unmarked, because the person you bought it from made it. It's not supposed to be aluminum. It is supposed to be tempered steel to withstand impact with hard targets and it should be painted yellow. They aren't usually marked anyway. Proper paint scheme for NAVY projectiles is one caliber of yellow on the nose for HE Fill.

Last edited:
The aluminum fuze adaptor is unmarked, because the person you bought it from made it. It's not supposed to be aluminum. It is supposed to be tempered steel to withstand impact with hard targets and it should be painted yellow. They aren't usually marked anyway. Proper paint scheme for NAVY projectiles is one caliber of yellow on the nose for HE Fill.

Any idea about manufacture date? I am thinking the " 53711- 657334-000" could be 1953? 1965? Any ideas?

Last edited:
If the proj. has been repainted using original info from original paint job, then CRA90J, indicates Crane Ammunition Activity (Indiana), 1990, month J (September I think).
Your fuze was made by ACC (Accudyne Corp. Janesville WI) in 1994, in the month of B (should be February).
Regards Ozzi.