What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the going rate: 16"/50 1700 lb projo?

Your thoughts on an Iowa class BB, 16"/50 HC projectile, restored. $2K, $3K, $4K.....? a 1992 .mil site says less than 500 went to museums, the other 15,000 in the 1992/93 war reserve stock were scrapped.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 111
Well, "Ordnance" on GB is selling the restored round for 3000.00(buy it now for 3500.00) and a complete set up of powder bags, powder cans, round and stands to hold it all for 6500.00 (buy it now for 10,000.00). I could imagine going up I65 with that on the back of a car trailer:driver::tongue:
Of course, that's been the price for quite some time.

U.S. SUBS posted this photo of a sectioned ICM Projo in the past.

To prevent confusion, it should be explained that Ordnance on Gunbroker is Marshall Morgan, not to be confused with Ordnance here on BOCN who is Rick Larson.

Attachments

• 16-inch%20ICM.jpg
    16-inch%20ICM.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 16-inch%20ICM%203.jpg
    16-inch%20ICM%203.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Keep in mind that there is no actual value to these other than scrap value. Actual value would mean that you could turn around and sell it for that amount without unreasonable delay.
Asking for it and getting it of course are two separate things. At SLICS 3 years ago I was approached by an individual that thought I might be interested in his. I explained my theories in value, he got pissed and left (wanted over $1000). The second day I had a different individual approach me, same deal. "But I spent this much!!" (over 1200). The third day I had a third individual approach me - I was getting tired of it by this time and once again explained that size doesn't equal value, history or desire. He nodded and explained "For the first two weeks it was the coolest thing ever, then it started to get in the way. I've been trying to get rid of it for several years now with no success, would you just take it." It still cost me a day off work, renting a tandem axle trailer, gas, etc (5 hours each way). Most sales of these are fairly local to the seller, for reasons that are quickly realized. Many of the original purchasers are having buyers' remorse after a few years and coming to the understanding on their own.

Be cautious about people trying to sell you something like this telling you its "worth". Odds are they have been telling the story for a while and are beginning to doubt it themselves.

Agreed on your estimation of value. Ten years ago I found a huge 8" QF casing in a junk yard. No dents, a massive brass casing. I located an 8" projectile, stuck it in the case ( it stood almost 7 ft tall). Not collecting ordnance at the time, I hauled it to the FtWorth gunshow and put it up for sale......at 0900 in the morning an older man walked by, stopped and asked what I wanted, I said $5000.00, he asked, " will you take a check"? I said yes, he asked, will you deliver it to my warehouse in downtown Dallas for $200?, I said sure......he wrote out the check for $5,200 and I delivered it. Inside his warehouse were five or six 16"/50 projectiles, a Sherman tank, an M48 tank ( new condition, the road wheels still had the rubber nibs on them) some artillery pieces and many artillery shells. I asked his workers who he was, they said he owned Lucky Lady oil company. That said, I have learned not to waste my time in doing business with people who have no money...and those that do have money are always looking for something no one else has. Ordnance years ago used to be considered door stops, only suitable for the scrap yard.....that said, I negotiated the deal for the 16"/50 projectile. How can any serious Ordnance collector not want a 1500 lb doorstop?...I will post pics when it arrives.

Last edited:
When you get past the fifth decade, such considerations as to moving 100lb doorstops and the associated possibility of hernias come in to play. 1500-1900lb doorstops tend to boggle the mind.:help: Cheers, Bruce.

When you get past the fifth decade, such considerations as to moving 100lb doorstops and the associated possibility of hernias come in to play. 1500-1900lb doorstops tend to boggle the mind.:help: Cheers, Bruce.

Yea. I'm thinking of maxing out at cal. 50.

I find a Telehandler comes in very useful for the larger shells

Attachments

• JCB - 1.jpg
    JCB - 1.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 75
  • JCB - 1 (1).jpg
    JCB - 1 (1).jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 74
  • JCB - 1 copy.jpg
    JCB - 1 copy.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 71
I built Steel pallets from I-beams for my heavy projectiles and moved them with a forklift. But I used chain hoists on my bridge crane and the neighbor's tractor to move MK. 84 2,000 lb. concrete filled bombs.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2332.jpg
    IMG_2332.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 63
Glevum, Ozzie, Hazord, nice, very nice. Good to see some " big bore" heavy Ornance collectors out there. My intention is to haul out the 16"/50 HC ( weight about 1500 lbs) to local events. No access to bush hogs or forklifts, but I have access to a one ton engine hoist. I plan to do it all with the engine hoist, two 1500 lb rated car Dollys, low trailer and old time ingenuity. A base of two 3/4" layers of plywood on top of 10 junk yard steel 1 1/2 steel tubing I am hoping will move upright it into the corner. A heavy mover has told me he has used thick walled PVC pipe to easily roll 2,000 lbs ( one ton). Here is my first try with the steel pipe, the two 155mm and me ( about 380lbs total ) on top moves easy enough for my 11 year old to push me around effortlessly, we shall see.......

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
To move our 15" shell, the shell was chocked and strapped to a heavy solid pallet.

I then put the pallet in the back of my wife's car with a forklift.

We put the pallet forward against the front of the boot and put some large timbers either side to stop it sliding from side to side. It worked well.

The shell weighs about 870kg and you don't want that weight moving around as you go round corners.

My advice would be to never move them standing up unless they are clamped to something with a wide base. A 16 inch projo has no business being on plywood. The minute it tips one way or the other, the base will cut into the plywood and it will go over. You need to figure out a way to move it horizontal, and then stand it up.

Just for interest, from US Navy archives, note: the 44mm mentioned is no doubt 40mm AA Bofors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 19
I agree with HAZORD, I think you are pushing your luck trying to move around a 16" proj. in the upright position. If anything goes wrong there will be no stopping it toppling over! If the fuze or adapter is removable from yours, maybe try to make an adapter that can be used as a lifting point. Mine is on permanent display, even though I would dearly love to take it out for remote displays, the logistics & possibility of damage rules that out (the joys of big stuff). Hmm, yes I would like to know what a"bush hogg" is also, maybe we have them down under also?