What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

...name these shells....

I have ID'd all but the one on the far left. What is it? No further info, this picture only.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 171
FAR LEFT? Oh, yes, the deadly "paint thinner" one gallon round. Easy to recognize, but hard to RSP!

Left to right, 8 inch howitzer M509 submunition cargo Army, 5 inch 54 cal Navy HE, 5 inch 38 cal Navy HE or cargo, 155mm Howitzer M483 submunition cargo army, all U.S.

81mm M362 in front, which I would be leery of, as it could be UXO. It looks like someone put a shaped charge on the 5 inch 54 in back.

Last edited:
Thanks. I found this picture on the Google images web and had absolutely no idea about the 8" sub munitions round. Looks as if someone visited a live fire range.

Left to right, 8 inch howitzer M509 submunition cargo Army, 5 inch 54 cal Navy HE, 5 inch 38 cal Navy HE or cargo, 155mm Howitzer M483 submunition cargo army, all U.S.

81mm M362 in front, which I would be leery of, as it could be UXO. It looks like someone put a shaped charge on the 5 inch 54 in back.

Hello,
For the first, could it be a 8in M650 rather than a M509 (M509 I saw on bocn are fitted with two rotating bands).
Regards

Hi

The M650 is a high-explosive rocket-assisted (HERA) projectile.

Sebatian, You are right, it is a 650 instead of a 509, for the very reason you mentioned, the rotating band. The XM736 used a modified M509 projectile with twin rotating bands.

917601, go to the downloads section, and download TM 43-0001-28 Artillery Ammunition.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I've been looking for any examples of an XM736 for decades now, I've only seen pictures of a couple of component pieces described as belonging to one so far. Not sure it ever made it into actual development phase. The four binary weapons were all in development at about the same time, only two, the M687 155mm and the BLU-80 Bigeye bomb actually were fielded. The MLRS BCW rocket was in development and had just finished trials with simulant dyes when the US made the announcement that we were dropping CW in about 1986. It wasn't till years later that I heard of the 736, and after many years of working with CW I've never actually spoken to anyone that has seen one. Picatinny Museum had nothing, Aberdeen Museum had nothing, and only a couple of component pieces at Edgewood described as belonging to the 736 seem to exist. Should be more -