What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Further info please on 1pr

2pounder

Premium Member
I know it is a British 1pr made by Maxim Nordenfelt who operated from 1888 to 1897 but wondered if any one could shed more light on it? ie is the round Boer War or were they still used in WWI? any other possible wars it could have been in? Definitely inert as the fuze was only finger tight. Any guesses on how many made?. It was given to me by my sister and would like to tell her more. thanks.
R0011232.jpgR0011233 (2).JPG

It could have been used in the Boer War and the round was used in WW1 also, but this is an earlier produced round. They were exported and used by other countries especially by navies. They are more commonly found with a point fuze.

Well that it is in the UK points to British Army stock from the Boer War that was not used and still not used in WW1.It could have been surplussed out by the Army or RN later though
I don't think the RN had too many of that type of gun. Hundreds of thousands likely over many years starting at about 1888 with the Maxim Gun co , them Maxim Nordenfelt, then Vikers Maxim and Placida des Armes -

Last edited: