What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Egyptian box(Shue) mine

Slick

As previously ID'd : http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/98535-Anti-Personnel-Mine-(-)
I ended up with this as well. (Again, Thanks Bruce!) And have decided to attempt a restoration. Spent today doing some crafting.
For comparison, here is the BEFORE, original "crusty" mine body.
Mine Egypt 1.jpgMine Egypt 2.jpgMine Egypt 3.jpg

AFTER application of a wire brush and some Krud Kutter rust remover
Mine Egypt 4.jpg

Considered various options to create a bottom lid, such as it is. Ended up deciding on modeling clay and epoxy.
Mine Egypt mold 2.jpgMine Egypt mold 3.jpg

Packed and then pushed the side of the body into the clay. Next time I'll push the clay into the body. As it was, the clay was really too hard to just push in and ended up using a 2X4 piece and a hammer to make the impression. Then built and packed a little wall all the way around the body before removing it from the mold.
Mine Egypt mold.jpg

Mixed up two tubes worth of epoxy and poured it in the mold. Ended up using the third tube of epoxy and will belt sander it down to even things out and thin it a bit.
Mine Egypt mold 4.jpg

End result will require some dressing up but I'm satisfied, so far.
Mine Egypt mold 5.jpg

The body will be painted black once fitted with the bottom cap/lid/cover. Am planning on building an appropriate box. Which will be in a future update of this thread.

Just noted it should be Schu, not Shue.

Last edited:
Got the base whittled down to approximate one of the pictured complete mines.
mine egypt 2.jpg

Not exactly the same but good enough for the girls I go with. The original base was held on with two small screws. Mine is glued on.
Mine Egypt mold 7.jpg

Was able to use the fuze to re-tap the hole. A little oil and it screwed right in.

Was very worried the casting was going to be weak and/or brittle. It is a very tough product once it has set up. The belt sander got it down close to size and evenly beveled the edges. Tried using hand files for the initial finessing but ended up using a power scroll saw and a pointed stone in a Dremel tool to finish things off. Am hoping a paint job will help it look correct. Will find out after the glue dries.

Am guessing this thread should go under the RESTORATION and PRESERVATION heading. If so, the moderator should feel free to move it.