What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great condition Canadian No.36M Mk1

Infanteer

Sorry about my previous thread which I tried to remove for a couple of reasons. One being that it was suggested that this might be live so I attempted to remove the post until I could be certain that wasn't the case. I'm happy to say that this No.36 weighs the same as several other deactivated examples in my collection. I was reluctant to remove the filler plug as I didn't want to damage the paint/sealant that remains which appears to be a rare thing to find from what I've seen over the years. This also has a striker with a very flat top which is another uncommon detail compared to the others in my collection. It's not easy to find examples of Mills Bombs with such nice lacquer and original painted markings where I live so I was very pleased to acquire this example. I have a few more to go to fill my grenade case and then I have a second empty case that will probably remain empty considering how difficult they are find and how expensive they have become.

IMG_3235.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Canadian mint mills with the same red sealed filler plug with yellow markings and with the same yellow markings on one of the ears. It was deactivated by having a hole drilled in the center tube to save the markings red seal, the lever is stamped chatco and the body is cast a C at the front 1943 dated plug and center tube. Canadian mills have the red crosses lower down as with the green band compared to British mills.

Nice, would love to see it. I have yet to find a Chatco example. Mostly I find Montreal Munitions and Frost and Woods made pieces.

Here is my Canadian mills with seal. I will get another picture of the back. I believe there are two different chatco lever markings when looking at a friends collection a while back years ago i found piles of levers on an old range used by the Canadians as if they were used yesterday, what protected them was that they were parked.

Attachments

• canaidian mills.jpg
    canaidian mills.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 49
Nice, would love to see it. I have yet to find a Chatco example. Mostly I find Montreal Munitions and Frost and Woods made pieces.

ChatCo is only on the lever. They are only normally fitted to GALT grenades, In my experience. Montreal Munitions Grenades have M on the lever and F&W their name as well.

John

More pictures. There is another type ChatCo marked lever, not sure if its early or late but its more ornate than this one.

Attachments

• canadian1.jpg
    canadian1.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 25
  • canadian2.jpg
    canadian2.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 25
  • canadian3.jpg
    canadian3.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 25
  • canadian4.jpg
    canadian4.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 30
  • canadian5.jpg
    canadian5.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 22
Here are some better photos. Interesting that the green band appears to have been applied to the lever as well.

IMG_1841.jpgIMG_1840.jpgIMG_1839.jpgIMG_1838.jpgIMG_1837.jpg

Last edited:
More pictures. There is another type ChatCo marked lever, not sure if its early or late but its more ornate than this one.

Yes, there is a stylized version of the Chatco lever. I have a Galt marked No.36M but it`s fitted with a FW marked lever. If you or anyone else has a spare Chatco lever I would love to hear about it.

ChatCo is only on the lever. They are only normally fitted to GALT grenades, In my experience. Montreal Munitions Grenades have M on the lever and F&W their name as well.

John

Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately, I don`t encounter Mills Bombs enough to keep all of these details fresh in my mind.

Why didn't you just release the striker, and unscrew the fuze holder to check. Already looks like the thing has been messed with, with the wrong tools since the hole is elongated. that way you don't have to rely on weight?

I've not seen that style of Chatco lever before. Must be for pre 44 levers.

John

Years ago in the 1970 i found a big pile of them on a range the Canadians used all in mint condition all marked ChatCo with the two variants.

Here's a picture of the ChatCO levers I've got. I think this logo must have been 1944 onwards. I've not encountered the other one.

SSCN7880.JPG

And here's a rather odd Chrome plated F&W. No doubt a presentation grenade.

SSCN7878.JPGSSCN7879.JPG

John

Last edited:
I should add that the two grenades shown by BMG50 and Infanteer are outstanding examples.

John

Why didn't you just release the striker, and unscrew the fuze holder to check. Already looks like the thing has been messed with, with the wrong tools since the hole is elongated. that way you don't have to rely on weight?

I tried but the center piece was extremely tight. I had to improvise a tool to remove it without causing any further damage. Turns out that there was some original sealant still on the threads which is why it was so tough to turn. It has been removed now. I was reluctant to try to unscrew it originally until I felt confident that it was empty. In my mind, the center piece was damaged by someone trying to unscrew it but I didn't know if they were successful or not. I figured it was best to err on the side of caution than to have something explode in my hands.

I tried but the center piece was extremely tight. I had to improvise a tool to remove it without causing any further damage. Turns out that there was some original sealant still on the threads which is why it was so tough to turn. It has been removed now. I was reluctant to try to unscrew it originally until I felt confident that it was empty. In my mind, the center piece was damaged by someone trying to unscrew it but I didn't know if they were successful or not. I figured it was best to err on the side of caution than to have something explode in my hands.

True guess you would look pretty stupid blowing yourself up, then our useless govt would ban all collecting of cool things. Lol.