What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Someone's haphazard cartridge collection - what are these?

Williams_castle

This lot came crammed into a WW2 light respirator case in a miscellaneous lot which I bought for something else and had no idea what was inside the case. Even though I don't really collect ammunition I was thrilled to find an 1899 Mauser round, a 1900 Lebel round and what looks like a Martini-Henry round pierced by a bullet! I doubt this has been faked up, simply because of the way the lot came to me in a mess of junk that seems untouched for at least 20 years. There's also an 1893 Mauser case, a 1942 ditto, a 1943 .303 round, a blank cartridge made from converting something else, a bag of Luger 9mm and Winchester cases, a pile of cases that I can't identify and a small shell head showing no signs of rifling and which I suspect needs to be thrown away in deep water.

Question: can anyone identify the three types of rounds that make up the big pile, and perhaps the shell head? There are no markings of any kind on the latter which is 75mm long, an AA shell perhaps? The 3 large mangled cases are 100mm long and unmarked. The two other cases are 68mm and 75mm end to end.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

13 March 2018 577.jpg13 March 2018 578.jpg13 March 2018 579.jpg13 March 2018 588.jpg13 March 2018 587.jpg13 March 2018 585.jpg

#4,5. Tank primer tube(modern),.50cal spotter case.
#6 20mm projectile,aircraft(ie,US Hispano)

#1 Cartridge with a projectile piercing it, looks to be a .45 Martini Henry.

Last edited:
The tank primer tube is actually a `Tube Vent Electric .625 Inch' as used in Chieftain and Challenger tanks. The .50 Spotter case was used with the 120 mm BAT (Battalion Anti Tank) recoilless gun. The 20 mm projectile looks as though it is a practice version. The round at bottom right in 1 & 3 looks like an 8 mm Lebel (French SAA).

Excellent, thanks to both of you. So you don't think the 20mm projectile is potentially dangerous? I have not tried loosening the nosecap for obvious reasons.