What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Naval, possibly a 5in N2 case

Vasco Da Gama

The pictured case turned up recently and I would appreciate your thoughts on what it may be. The research I have completed leads me to think it is from a Royal Navy project in the late 1940s and early 1950's to develop a 5in automatic gun, potentially to arm destroyers, which used separate loading ammunition. As far as I can tell the project was cancelled and the Royal Navy went on to develop various models of 4.5in guns. The case does have a number of features which point towards the Royal Navy, not least the screw fitting at the mouth for a closing cup. Confirmation of my identification would be great and any other information on he project would be welcome. The case is 834mm long, rim 193mm and mouth 138mm, pictured alongside a standard 4.5in Mk8 case for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 85
The pictured case turned up recently and I would appreciate your thoughts on what it may be. The research I have completed leads me to think it is from a Royal Navy project in the late 1940s and early 1950's to develop a 5in automatic gun, potentially to arm destroyers, which used separate loading ammunition. As far as I can tell the project was cancelled and the Royal Navy went on to develop various models of 4.5in guns. The case does have a number of features which point towards the Royal Navy, not least the screw fitting at the mouth for a closing cup. Confirmation of my identification would be great and any other information on he project would be welcome. The case is 834mm long, rim 193mm and mouth 138mm, pictured alongside a standard 4.5in Mk8 case for comparison.

Interesting case. The bland "Ord L1" gives nothing away which suggests to me that it was either Secret project or the case was made at a time before the full nomenclature of the Ordnance was established. However 'L1' would usually imply Land Service. The part number for case RW139 is associated with Drawing No D2(L)6727/E but my notes/list on D2(L) drawings just identify this as a 'case' (which is unusual since the list usually gives the full designation except for classified projects). No actual drawing of course.

I tried to find a mention of the Drawing Number in a report from the Armament Development Establishment but without success. It did however mention a 5.25-inch Littlejohn Round for AA work which was completely new to me.

Sorry this isn't particularly helpful.

Thanks Bonnex, your reply is very helpful as it confirms this case is not a standard item that I have misidentified! Interesting the documentation is so sparse. I did come across mention of squeeze bore technology being associated with the N2 project, in its anti-aircraft role a high muzzle velocity and reduced time of flight does improve the chance of the target being in the place you expected when you fired!

Many thanks Gents, it would appear I incorrectly went down the Navy route based upon the screw fitting on the mouth. The measurements tie up with the US 120mm T25/M109 tank gun case, length 833mm, rim 192 and mouth 135mm. This gun also used separate loading ammunition, I guess I have a British made case for the Conqueror 120mm gun.

If you ever want to part with it....... it's one of only a couple of British tank cases missing in my line up!